tips for catching tailor

Sammie

my partner and i do alot of fishing in st georges basin and have landed some cracker fish ... we have targeted tailor for some time now, catching a 2.5kg one. we know u can get much bigger as we have hooked onto some absolute monsters but can never seem to get that huge mumma of a tailor in the boat. we have used 20pound braid with heavy duty rods, mono line with leader etc and still cant catch. we are trying handlines now but havnt yet had a solid tailor hit... have caught flatty and snapper on them though...

does anyone in this forum fish in the basin much? what gear would u suggest for catching the tailor... Also, does anyone know any prime spots theoughout winter down there?

thanks in advance for the tips :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

if the tailor are big your best bet will b to use metal wire trace and for bait im pretty sure pilchard is the best ,also while you have your baits out waiting why not try to spin a few of those little metal lures and increase your chances of catching a tailor.

Goodluck

Mate try fishing whole pilchard or yakkas under a float with gang hooks

ive caught some really really big ones at night time.

Just burley to get them going crazy and then u can use wire (gel coated and the less strand the better IMO) poppers also work very well.

try the halco rooster popper in the black and gold using a constant retreive. lookin forward to some good pics : )

As PRED-ATOR said regarding the float.

I have used a float with a pilchard on gang as bait when the tailor were going crazy in Lake Illawarra, and managed two 2.5kg Tailors. Good fun. Also been cut off a few times, so I guess wire trace would help out.

Guest Aussie007

fish late afternoons with metal lures halco's work a treat :biggrin2: or troll rapala lures and change tactic once it gets dark

i spemt many years catching big green backs off the joey we only used pillys to hold a school the best bait is garfish about 10 inches long 5 o gang hooks

tailor always hit the tail off big gars and circle back to finish off the rest so you need a hook right at the tail even a floater hook just behind the tail a half hitch around the beak .cast and a slow retreave check the gar is swimming straight and keep it on the surface so you can see the tailor hit it and hang on as kings will also hit this rig

this was always done off the stones around the washes we would start at dawn and it was all over by 9.00am the kings would show up 8.00 8.30 cheers gary

A five hook ganged hook rig, (even if one is hanging loose) would suggest keeping clear of wire. They will almost always attack the tail first and then the head. With the 5 hook rig. you will get them on the first attack and the bite offs are no longer an issue.

i find that same prob as well with metal trace... i have found garfish work best however pillys/mullet and slimy work well also... i have tried 3gangies and have been snapped off... we even had a HUGE tailor on 40kg handline that snapped us... although that day i did pull in a 5.5kg flatty on a rod so i guess we cant get tooo lucky in one trip. as im on my phone i cant see the comments.while im replying so i will have a better read when i get home tonight.... i use thr hard body metal lurea with red strip on them and find they work a treat with the smaller tailor.... i appreciate all the tips.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk