Tiagra 30 2 Speed

Hey everyone,

Recently serviced a mates Tiagra 30 and when doing so used Alan Tani's servicing post for a Tiagra 16 (found here) as a guide. Upon opening the reel I noticed some differences between the two and thought I would share for anyone interested in servicing their Tiagra 30. I have not posted the full strip down as Alan Tani's Tiagra 16 post covers a majority of it, just the differences I noticed when servicing this reel, and how I serviced it.

The reel

Tiagra30001800x600.jpg

Difference #1 - The Tiagra 30 has 5 torx screws holding the left side plate on. In this photo notice how one is longer then the others? FYI this one goes in the hole inbetween the harness lug.

Tiagra30002800x600.jpg

Once the side plate is removed the spool comes out exactly like in Alan's post.

Tiagra30003800x600.jpg

Difference #2 - Cooling shield only secured by 4 screws

Tiagra30004800x600.jpg

Difference #3 - When cooling shield is removed you can see the major difference here, there is only one drag washer which is attached to the pressure plate with the drag plate screwed directly to the spool. In the picture you can notice there is a build up on the drag plate and washer, the owner of this reel mentioned he noticed that the drag seemed to loosen when line was stripped, this could be due to the build up affecting start up inertia. I cleaned the build up and greased up the drag washer with Cals. Problem fixed.

Tiagra30005800x600.jpg

The pressure plate is held onto the cooling plate due to a small black washer on the stem of the pressure plate, easily seperated as shown.

Tiagra30006800x600.jpg

Flipping the spool over I removed the clicker plate and noticed some salt water intrusion on this part as seen

Tiagra30008800x600.jpg

Cleaned it up and applied a layer of Cals and screwed it back on

Tiagra30009800x600.jpg

Without removing any of the right hand components I cleaned up the clicker and gears on the right hand plate and re-greased them as shown in the pics (before & after)

Tiagra30010800x600.jpg

Tiagra30011800x600.jpg

Put the spool shaft back in and gave the gears a new coat of grease.

Tiagra30012800x600.jpg

Last image is of the inside of the left hand plate showing the dog pawls for the anti reverse. There was a small amount of grease on these, I applied a thin coat to the lot to help protect them while putting the reel back together.

Tiagra30013800x600.jpg

There you have it, not a difficult process at all, following Alan's steps with a few minor changes and she's running like new.

Daniel Wood

• 9 months later...

your a good mate Dan, normally mates f#%k each other, this post will come in handy as mine doesn't feel quite right at the moment.

oi macka, i for some reason forget all the important stuff and only remember the dumb things.

cheers boys

• 5 months later...