Botany Bay Boat Trip

PowerFisher

Headed out to botany today,

Very nice conditions I expected it to be more windier.

I took my boy with me today, it was a great day especially for him he got very lucky and got a lot of the action.

The plan was so he doesn’t get bored ill use light tackle for him and he can catch us all the live bait.

He ended up with the highest number of fish instead with around 20 undersize snapper, numerous travally and bream and also what I really wanted live yakkas. Also he caught a small cobia nice looking fish, doesn't that size usually hang around sharks.

Beside the usually fish we kept for a feed there was no salmon/kings around, has anyone had any luck catching kings inside the bay this week or today.

Had 3 live yakkas out and they were all killed by small octopus as I got the octopuses to the surface I shake them off, there is plenty around are they any good kingfish bait?

post-15751-095868200 1336304871_thumb.jpg

post-15751-071584200 1336304931_thumb.jpg

Good report mate. Nice to get your son into it. Did you get any squid?

The fish that hang around sharks are not Cobias.

I had some fresh squid with me but only 2, so it didnt last went to pickers and that cobia, I need to start catching my own squid i know where they are in the bay caught some before landbased and i have access to them by boat now but i just need to put the effort in. Ive been only relying on fresh squid lately.

I had some fresh squid with me but only 2, so it didnt last went to pickers and that cobia, I need to start catching my own squid i know where they are in the bay caught some before landbased and i have access to them by boat now but i just need to put the effort in. Ive been only relying on fresh squid lately.

Yeah pickers inside the bay are terrible..maybe just as bad as port security. :)

Who supplies you your fresh squid? fish market or bait shop?

Great to see the young bloke getting into the action. Hate to say but its not a Cobia but a Remora. As other Raiders have said, "hang on to sharks & rays picking up a free ride& a free lunch". Adds to your capture list :thumbup:

Great to see the young bloke getting into the action. Hate to say but its not a Cobia but a Remora. As other Raiders have said, "hang on to sharks & rays picking up a free ride& a free lunch". Adds to your capture list :thumbup:

Your right last night i searched it up was gonna post today,

The cobia is more of a browner colour and doesent have the suction cup on its head,

The one caught had a suction cup on its head and it was a black colour so it was a Remora. I hope it finds a shark or ray to hang on to. :)

Edited by PowerFisher

Yeah pickers inside the bay are terrible..maybe just as bad as port security. :)

Who supplies you your fresh squid? fish market or bait shop?

Hi Formosan, do you have any places you recommend to buy fresh squid from.

Thanks

Thanks

Mate I catch my own but I was asking power fisher where he bought them from. Interesting to know how fresh they are and wether they work. I bet they are expensive.

Thanks

check with the local tackle stores when they get a supply but they dont last long there.

Never actually seen anyone catch a Remora, are they a good fight?

There not too bad fighting but it was a small one, looking at the rod when the boy was reeling it in thought it was a travally.

Mate I catch my own but I was asking power fisher where he bought them from. Interesting to know how fresh they are and wether they work. I bet they are expensive.

I do at times buy it fresh from bait shop and it works real well and it is expensive but saying that i have caught plenty of kings on the calafornia squid which works real well and my PB salmon of 80 cm and PB Jewfish of 65cm went to calafornia squid. But my PB King went on fresh squid caught earlier so its hard call and i have more confidence on the fresh squid.

I also use the barter system with friends swap fish for fresh squid which works out for all :) but in your case it wont work you do both :) otherwise i would of did a barter with you.