Botany Bay

General Zod

After reading all the reports on the king fish at BB we decied to go and not have a crack at it just yet. Its a bit hard when u dont know where to get squid from or how to read the fish finder, as well as the wife likes to use prawns. So looks like it was going to be any fish that was legal and would make a nice dinner.

So we begin the day with making a spontaneous decision to had out to BB after my sons friend birthday party. Packed the boat and left at 2.15pm arriving at Botany bay at 2.45pm. We get the boat ready and i go to tilt the motor down a bit but cant. why? Because i forgot the boat keys :ranting2: ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 3pm. I was so pi^% off i say lets pack up and go leave it for another day. But because ive got such a love wife and kids who love fishing they ask me if i can go home and get the keys, so i park the boat in the car park wife says she well stay with the boat and my eldest son, and i fly back. Now something which should of took me 5mins ended up taking 1hr there and back, ever since superman tricked me into me lossing my powers so now i cant fly :wacko: . So i get back to BB and its now 4pm. We launch and go to the smaller runway and to red marker thingy, Fish finder says theres fish i think but we get nothing we move around the corner and nothing again but the fish finder is showing what looks like fish? In the end we get about 3 under size tailor which we release call it in and start heading back as its geting a bit cold. On the way in my wife yells out and tells me to stop, im thinkin what happen and then she tells me my $470 rod and reel has fallen into the drink noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! i quickly turn the boat around but its to late to dark. I think i started to get heart pain at that point of time. very upset we make it back to the ramp without lossing anymore rods, rinse the motor and go home. Nice moon i forgot to add.

So whats the moral of the story.

Dont forget boat keys?

No

Dont trust anyone to place your rods into the rod holders?

No

The morel of the story is

Dont trust Superman

if anyone can help are they fish on the fish finder, and which way are the fish swimming by. any help would be great

post-15062-071471000 1336392547_thumb.jpg

post-15062-055340500 1336392558_thumb.jpg

post-15062-005697900 1336392572_thumb.jpg

post-15062-000318300 1336392578_thumb.png

Edited by General Zod

hi mate, isn't fishing just so much fun? :biggrin2:

sorry to hear about the lost rod, but sometimes :05:

in regards to your sounder pics, I have the same sounder, and the first and second pic are definitely fish, and some decent size ones as well I might add.

the reason why you aren't seeing classic arches is because you are stationary or drifting very slowly, when you do this the lines are more horizontal but with a small arch in them.

Also, love how you're sharing your GPS location, was this intended? :biggrin2:

Edited by quintrex480

firstly Zod, you need to get rid of Fahrenheit, mph & Feet and use the good ol metric system. Those numbers you got on the screen are just sooo confusing. :wacko:

Anyway, the lines in the first 2 pics are definitely several good fish judging from the density and clearly defined lines and the separation of the lines.

Your sounder will not tell you which direction the fish are swimming. It will only let you know what is beneath your transducer at a given point in time. The far right side of your screen shows what is under your boat now, and the screen will scroll the history of what was under your boat to the left.

If you stay in the one spot or move very slowly, you may be able to see fish/object move up or down the water column but not in any other direction.

Edited by Dangas

Also to note that Your DSI have a fan beam left to right which will detect fish if the fish crosses the fan beam of your transducer. It is likely that when you saw fish they are abit further behind you.

Traditional Sonar has a conical beam which will detect fish in front and back and side of the transducer which will suit anchoring and vertical fishing but DSI provides a clearer picture but requires movement to scan the water column like Downrigging.

firstly Zod, you need to get rid of Fahrenheit, mph & Feet and use the good ol metric system. Those numbers you got on the screen are just sooo confusing. :wacko:

Unless you purchased an overseas model, which does not have the metric system.

Also to note that Your DSI have a fan beam left to right which will detect fish if the fish crosses the fan beam of your transducer. It is likely that when you saw fish they are abit further behind you.

Traditional Sonar has a conical beam which will detect fish in front and back and side of the transducer which will suit anchoring and vertical fishing but DSI provides a clearer picture but requires movement to scan the water column like Downrigging.

Sheesh mate! when did you become such an expert on the DSI? and why haven't you ever shared this info with me?!?!?! :biggrin2:

Unless you purchased an overseas model, which does not have the metric system.

Sheesh mate! when did you become such an expert on the DSI? and why haven't you ever shared this info with me?!?!?! :biggrin2:

Just concern from his drawings that he expects his DSI to see all round the boat.

I am no expert I just google shit. :biggrin2:

Also, love how you're sharing your GPS location, was this intended? :biggrin2:

Yes this was intended so u would see, and hopefully in return you would give me your squiding location :biggrin2:

Got it from bcf

Sorry about the rod man. I would be soo pi##ed if I lost one of my expensive rods like that. Not so much for the cost but the sentimental value having caught a mountain of memerable fish. P.S. How's your hand? :biggrin2:

yeah it really hurt when i knew i wasnt getting it back.

hows my hand??? or did u mean heart.

if you meant heart its better now, just.

Anyway, the lines in the first 2 pics are definitely several good fish judging from the density and clearly defined lines and the separation of the lines.

Your sounder will not tell you which direction the fish are swimming. It will only let you know what is beneath your transducer at a given point in time. The far right side of your screen shows what is under your boat now, and the screen will scroll the history of what was under your boat to the left.

If you stay in the one spot or move very slowly, you may be able to see fish/object move up or down the water column but not in any other direction.

Thanks man, yeah really need to go metric. thanks for the info

thanks man, so so the key is to move.

Just concern from his drawings that he expects his DSI to see all round the boat.

I am no expert I just google shit. :biggrin2:

yeah, i throught the dsi would even tell me the names of the fish it scanned. now i feel ripped off. :biggrin2: