Middle Harbour Live Bait

rjc123

Hey raiders,

i plan to start fishing middle harbour a fair bit from my kayak. I just need to know where to get some yakkas and/or squid. Preferably between Roseville and the Spit as it'll be a real hard slog to get out past the spit when starting all the way over at Roseville.. Any other tips on spots to nab a few Bonito, Kings and Jewies during the warmer months would be fantastic too!

Cheers, Tom

Hey Tom I was at Roseville last weekend and got plenty of yakkas right near the pontoon, so I guess you'd be able to find them there again once it opens up again. How long does it take to get from Roseville to the spit in the yak?

Haven't actually received the yak yet. Pre ordered the new Hobie Pro Angler :biggrin2: . It has the foot pedal system so my guess is maybe an hour and a bit flat out. I'll mainly fis the waters around Bantry Bay and Sugarloaf though... How did you get your yakkas? Jig, unweighted bait or little hook/sinker rig?

Cheers, Tom

Usually burley up with bread then use a sabaki type 6 hook bait jig and put bits of pilchards on the hooks and works perfectly. Yakkas have been really painful lately really hard to get them worked up but we'll usually get about 10 within 15-20 mins anchored up most times.

When do you get ur yak? I'm thinking about taking my mrs parents one out on Sunday and see how I go around the spit flicking some squidgy pro flick baits around the moored boats for kings gona try out my mackbait trolling behind the yak as well now I've changed it to single hooks from the trebles

Usually burley up with bread then use a sabaki type 6 hook bait jig and put bits of pilchards on the hooks and works perfectly. Yakkas have been really painful lately really hard to get them worked up but we'll usually get about 10 within 15-20 mins anchored up most times.

When do you get ur yak? I'm thinking about taking my mrs parents one out on Sunday and see how I go around the spit flicking some squidgy pro flick baits around the moored boats for kings gona try out my mackbait trolling behind the yak as well now I've changed it to single hooks from the trebles

Thanks for that mate, the yak hasn't been released yet so probably a month or two.

No worries mate, I'll let you know how I go with the Mack lure trolling behind the yak when im out, usually I think they're better suited to a faster trolling speed so we'll see how it goes

yeah, good luck mate. Might have to get one myself :biggrin2:

Squid n yakkas balmoral wharf !! Get there really really early to avoid getting in the way of all the early morning joggers !!!

Usually jus drop the jig right near te pilons for yakkas but once there on you will get a bucket full quick smart !!

Squid is all around the wharf and between the beaches off the rocks !!

Fish a small squid jig to sink slow as its not that deep only around 3-5m !!

Hope this helped mate !!

JeZ

Yeah, i know about balmoral. The thing is it will take a VERY long time to get there via kayak from the Roseville Bridge....

Oh I see, apparently there's squid under the spit, try drifting the pilons !! There's an article somewhere in here reguarding the spit and squid, check it out !

I don't fish that area much at all but when I do balmoral is where I go for livies never tried anywhere else !

Tom apparently people also get squid from the pontoon at Roseville at night, never tried before but could be worth a shot

Yes, its actually true. Got 2 there on dusk one night while fishing sp?!?! Decent size too!