Whiting off the beach

FranticD

Hi all,

I just wanted to know the best rig to use fishing off the beach for whiting.

Basically if I use light gear such as 2kg line, size 0 running sinker, 1inch of red tubing then a long shank hook..... If I cast that into the surf, wouldn't my rig just get washed back up onto the shore? And/or my rig might just get taken away in the current?

I'm thinking I would be forced to use a heavier sinker but then that would mean I might not be able to feel bites if I use a heavier sinker.

How do you guys target whiting from the beach?

Hi FranticD

I've always known Whiting to be a summer fish in the surf. (Hope you are meaning a surf beach). I’ve never targeted them in the colder months, but I have had rare by-catches.

Normally I look for a beach that has not got large surf. From what I’ve learnt, Whiting keep away from large gutters where big predatory fish would be. So they stay around the shallower areas and on the sand bank edges where they are a little more protected from those larger fish. Also the wave action uncovers the food around those shallower edges. Whiting from the surf fight different to the ones in the estuary as they are competing more for the food, so you will feel the bites on a heavier sinker. I use a 2-3 weight bean sinker on a running rig, 8lb Fluro-carbon trace on 8lb braid main line. Normally I would use a 4-6 size hook, but I have caught them on a size 1. I do want to try those circle hooks though. The tubing doesn’t hurt if it’s there or even a bead.

Bait I use is beach worm, (they are tough) or bloodworm (they are softer) or use what is found at that beach you are fishing at. If you look at their mouths you will find that they are a bottom dwelling species, so keep your bait low.

Good luck. They are a very tasty treat. :biggrin2:

J

Edited by J Hooked

Hi,

Yes i mean a surf beach. so if i was to try to catch them from the surf beach, you recommend i just use a size 2-3 bean sinker and cast into the shallow parts where a lot of the white wave action is? how shallow would that be? casting into water that only goes up to your ankles? or would i need to cast a little further?

thanks

Hi FranticD

I've always known Whiting to be a summer fish in the surf. (Hope you are meaning a surf beach). I’ve never targeted them in the colder months, but I have had rare by-catches.

Normally I look for a beach that has not got large surf. From what I’ve learnt, Whiting keep away from large gutters where big predatory fish would be. So they stay around the shallower areas and on the sand bank edges where they are a little more protected from those larger fish. Also the wave action uncovers the food around those shallower edges. Whiting from the surf fight different to the ones in the estuary as they are competing more for the food, so you will feel the bites on a heavier sinker. I use a 2-3 weight bean sinker on a running rig, 8lb Fluro-carbon trace on 8lb braid main line. Normally I would use a 4-6 size hook, but I have caught them on a size 1. I do want to try those circle hooks though. The tubing doesn’t hurt if it’s there or even a bead.

Bait I use is beach worm, (they are tough) or bloodworm (they are softer) or use what is found at that beach you are fishing at. If you look at their mouths you will find that they are a bottom dwelling species, so keep your bait low.

Good luck. They are a very tasty treat. :biggrin2:

J

Hi,

Yes i mean a surf beach. so if i was to try to catch them from the surf beach, you recommend i just use a size 2-3 bean sinker and cast into the shallow parts where a lot of the white wave action is? how shallow would that be? casting into water that only goes up to your ankles? or would i need to cast a little further?

thanks

Hi FranticD

Sometimes you’ll fish very close. Have a look at the beaches that have slight gradients and smaller gutters and cast to the sandbanks and gutter. You’ll see the drop off into deeper water as you would when fishing a normal surf beach but this would be a calmer wave action beach. Try a couple of these sand bank edges with the shallow gutters until you find the whiting. They normally stay in larger schools so once you find them you should catch quite a few.

If your rig gets washed up to quickly increase your sinker size but try to remain as light as possible. The calmer surf beaches shouldn’t make this a problem. Every now and then you can move your rig towards you to disturb the ground which could attract the fish rather than keeping it in the one spot. As with any surf beach fishing find a high viewpoint to see the gutters coming in from the sea and running in parallel to the beach. These are their roadways to enter and exit from the beach.

Also visiting an area at low tide can reveal these gutters. You can collect your bait, There is a good thread on this topic, then fish the incoming tide. http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=53112

Good luck and good fishing! :biggrin2:

J