SPIT BRIDGE WITH LIVE PODDIES

craigbutcher

HI Raiders,

I made my way down to the spit bridge and fished from the north side of the spit with live poddies around 10 - 15cm long.

Fished the high tide and 1 & 1/2 hours after the tide change hunting a land based Jewfish (only caught them from the boat).

No fish raised at all except for Bream.

Has anyone had success around the spit bridge for Jewfish this season?

Butch

A mate caught a 14kg model in February on a live mullet. He was fishing landbased on the Seaforth/Manly side of the bridge. Late afternoon. Always a few Nice Bream and Flathead to play around with while you wait!

Mate I reckon MH this season has been pretty average due to water quality. This time of year there should be a lot more reports of big Jews. We have caught a few around that general area awhile ago but none of any real size. Mainly ones in the 50 - 70cm range. I plan on trying that area with the upcoming new moon.

Mike

Not at all. One of the fishiest spots in the harbour. You get Bream, Flathead, Whiting, Trevally, Salmon, Tailor, Kingfish, Jewfish aswell as a few bonito and frigates in summer. Even a few big cobia have been caught near here.

Hey Butch ,

Why are you land based ?

Talk soon mate

Brad

HI Brad,

How are you big fella?

Mate I fished near the bridge on the Manly / Seaforth side. Large poddy mullet 10-15cm & fish the High tide change and 1 hour or more into the run out.

Perfect conditions, warm currents (around 22 degrees). what am I doing wrong brother?

Butch

i think you might be expecting something to be there all the time, whereas a jewfish is a predator that moves around and does as it pleases...

Hi User 1829,

I wouldnt usually be so disappointed any other time of the year, however, it's now the season for them in the harbour and estuary systems and I have done 2 nights with great live bait, fishing the tide changes, and well away from the full moon.

Anyways, wont stop me trying again, might stick to the boat and drop the berley cage down for extra assistance.

Thanks

Butch

Hi User 1829,

I wouldnt usually be so disappointed any other time of the year, however, it's now the season for them in the harbour and estuary systems and I have done 2 nights with great live bait, fishing the tide changes, and well away from the full moon.

Anyways, wont stop me trying again, might stick to the boat and drop the berley cage down for extra assistance.

Thanks

Butch

yeah, i always burley up a little, in the hope the little ones come, these attract the bigger ones, then hopefully the BIG ones follow...

and yeah: "jewfish, coming to an area near you soon!" :)

yeah, i always burley up a little, in the hope the little ones come, these attract the bigger ones, then hopefully the BIG ones follow...

and yeah: "jewfish, coming to an area near you soon!" :)

Nice brother.

Got these JEWFISH off Long Reef a few months back, we got 3 in 20mins on the tide change fishing with Frigate & Bonito fillets.

post-11981-074582900 1337141108_thumb.jpg

post-11981-088528600 1337141109_thumb.jpg

Nice brother.

Got these JEWFISH off Long Reef a few months back, we got 3 in 20mins on the tide change fishing with Frigate & Bonito fillets.

Nice jews there mate! There are some real bruisers to be had fishing the wall at longy if conditions permit, but you definately want the tackle to drag them out of there crevices and gutters that they like to hold up in amongst the boulders.

Dan

Hi Big Butchy ,

Mate you are doing better then me when it comes to the jewies , I am still yet to get a decent one. It sounds as though you are doing everything right though. I am now waiting for the yellowfin to rock up out here. Are you keen to go for a cubing session around browns ?

Good luck mate

Brad

Hi Big Butchy ,

Mate you are doing better then me when it comes to the jewies , I am still yet to get a decent one. It sounds as though you are doing everything right though. I am now waiting for the yellowfin to rock up out here. Are you keen to go for a cubing session around browns ?

Good luck mate

Brad

HI Brad,

Yeh scoring a few Jew recently brother, would love to come for a run out to Browns.

Only problem is my 25HP YAMAHA / CENTRE CONSOLE wont get me that far out legend.

Keep me posted if you ever need a deck hand legend!

Butch