Nice day out on Botany

stacko69

Went out on the Bay today in search of some bream. Caught a few and also managed to catch 3 legal snapper, a flathead and a tailor. We caught a small squid early in the morning so we decided to put it on the down rigger and see if there were any kingies around. Unfortunately It got nailed by the tailor. All the other fish were caught with strips of fresh yellowtail.

Would anybody please give me advice on rigging live baby octopus. Is it even worth down rigging occy's for Kingies. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I down rigged a small one today and it got taken by a bigger one which I gave to my old man as he loves occy.

Tight lines

Stacko

post-13322-029988200 1337248412_thumb.jpg

Lovely haul there :thumbup: Occies are definitely worth a shot for kings. Rig them in a similar way to squid. One hook through the top of the head and one trailing around in the tentacles of the occie!

Full bag :) Where the yellowtail caught today ?

Hi Nick,

I caught the yellowtail in the morning at Yarra bay and kept them live in the bait tank then I was using them when needed. There are also heaps of yellowtail hanging around the drums where the big ships anchor and they are some of the biggest yakkas I've seen averaging around 30cm. For me they are the best bait when presented nicely on a small circle hook. Just wait for your rod to bend and there is no escape. I catch the yellowtail with a hand line and a size 6 or 8 long shank hook and usually a small split shot sinker if they are down deeper.

catch ya later

Hey Stacko,

Nice haul of bream...

and snapper too.

Can I ask if you were fishing the south side of the bay or the north for the bream ?

No specifics required...

Also, what water temp and clarity did you have there ?

Tony

Hey Stacko,

Nice haul of bream...

and snapper too.

Can I ask if you were fishing the south side of the bay or the north for the bream ?

No specifics required...

Also, what water temp and clarity did you have there ?

Tony

Hi Tony,

We went to a few different locations but all were in the Kurnell region. We fished around Watts reef and near Towra. We also caught a few while we were catching the yakkas at Yarra Bay. Water temps were between 18 and 19.5. Very small running sinker with about a metre of 6lb fluorocarbon with a 1.0 circle hook did the trick. Water was a little murky, even when I was catching the yakkas I couldn't see them like I usually do. Hope this helps.

Stacko

Great haul! Well done! And thanks for the clear tips as well! Was out on Saturday for my first visit to Botany. Did no good, but will certainly be back. Having been there helps me know 'where' ppl are talking about.

Congrats!

Great haul! Well done! And thanks for the clear tips as well! Was out on Saturday for my first visit to Botany. Did no good, but will certainly be back. Having been there helps me know 'where' ppl are talking about.

Congrats!

Hi Mate, sad to hear you didn't do to good on Saturday. I went out today but couldn't go to my usual spot because there was a large ship anchored there with its motor's running and it was too noisy so I went to a place called the drums in Botany Bay. Its those big white drums near Kurnell and they are numbered. I think there is about 6 or 7 of them. Anyway I was there an hour or so before the tide turned and had a good trail of burley going towards one of the drums and fresh yellowtail as bait and we caught a few nice fish. Just anchor so that the back of the boat is facing the drum and try and be about 20m away and have 3 rods going. Cast all around the drum and you will get a mixed bag of fish like we did today. Your sounder will go crazy as there is heaps of bait fish around as well so have a hand line with you to catch fresh yellow tail for your bait. Also try and use the lightest sinker you can. Good luck for next time.

post-13322-049068500 1337680417_thumb.jpg

Hi Mate, sad to hear you didn't do to good on Saturday. I went out today but couldn't go to my usual spot because there was a large ship anchored there with its motor's running and it was too noisy so I went to a place called the drums in Botany Bay. Its those big white drums near Kurnell and they are numbered. I think there is about 6 or 7 of them. Anyway I was there an hour or so before the tide turned and had a good trail of burley going towards one of the drums and fresh yellowtail as bait and we caught a few nice fish. Just anchor so that the back of the boat is facing the drum and try and be about 20m away and have 3 rods going. Cast all around the drum and you will get a mixed bag of fish like we did today. Your sounder will go crazy as there is heaps of bait fish around as well so have a hand line with you to catch fresh yellow tail for your bait. Also try and use the lightest sinker you can. Good luck for next time.

Mate thanks heaps for this. Certainly a terrific mixed haul there for you. Have heard of the drums so will give 'em a try. Looked 'em up on google earth so know where they are. I wasnt sure if anchoring was permitted there though so uncertain how to access them best. So your tips are very helpful. Will give your techniques a go next time i'm there.

Again, thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

Regards

Dave