Narrabeen lake tides

tasksta

Hi all

I have a great spot in Narrabrrn lake that only fishes well at high tide. Problem is the tide never seems to align with the beach tide times and have missed it several times.

Can anyone shed some light on the relationship between high tide at the beach and the lake?

Have searched for an individual lake tide but can only find the beach.

Cheers

Paul

My guess is that the run in tide will occur earlier at the beach and the run out tide will occur earlier in the lake. Can't say for sure but its just what comes to mind :biggrin2:

Well someone can probably correct me on this, but in regards to Lake Illawarra, I think I was once told that the tide takes effect in the lake 3 hours after the ocean. So when you read the tide chart just add on 3 hours.

This is for Lake Illawarra, but I assume similar for all lakes.

Please note that I am not too sure about the 3 hours but I definitely know there is a delay.

Used to fish and prawn Narrabeen a lot when I lived in Crow Nest. A few years back now, but would find that the change could be anywhere from 30 min to a good 1.5+ hours, depending on where you were in the Lake. Have to remember that there is (or was) only a fairly small inlet to the lake, and at the absolute entrance is not really that deep. If there was a higher tide on the beach, the lake tide would rise faster, and if the high tide was relatively small on the ocean side, the far side of the lake would be minimal.

If you can, plan some days where you can spend a good 4 - 5 hours at/around your regular lake spots when you know the tide chart indicates a smallish high, and also a substantial high tide for an indication. Remember that the lake mouth will change from time to time so it won't be exact, but you will get better consistency.

Cheers,

ScottyB