Hairtail session tonight

Robofish

Raiders,

I will be heading out shortly for my first hairtail session of this year. I am heading to Waratah Bay - did anyone get out there last night? If so, any good?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like hairtail because they are something different and are an amazingly weird looking fish. There has to be something in it to get me to freeze my backside off!

Dave

Good point there are pretty prehistoric looking do you use them as bait or chuck em back

Nope, you can eat them. They're great if you wrap them in foil and do them on the BBQ. Not bad fried either!

Hi Jennings, yes a very good question as it requires you be be out at night in the coldest time of the year and in locations where it is even colder. But it's the challenge and they are so completely different to most other fish you catch. They don't fight particularly well. So I guess it is just "special"! But they are also pretty good eating. We are a strange bunch us fishermen aren't we!

So much for the hairtail session and how hilarious - the nights I have spent soaking fresh squid etc for Jew and I catch my first one on half a servo pillie with a red glow stick above it!

3aa3afb2-c494-f253.jpg

At least you caught something. On my first two attempts on hairtail I caught zip. (Well almost a cold.) :frozen:

The third time I felt ripped off because he didn't fight at all. It still put a serious smile on my face though. :biggrin2:

It was amazing seeing this long silvery thing come out of the darkness of the water. Watch those teeth though when you land them. I'd hate to be bitten by one.

I found the flesh to be a little oily but very tasty.

I rubbed the scales that were like "Paint" off with a towel, then cooked it.