Hair Tail

Boof

Guest bluecod
I was thinking about trying for Hair tail this weekend in the Hawkesbury River

Are there any there at the moment?

Tips?

56724[/snapback]

:074::074::074::074::074:

There have been reports of two being caught about a month ago.

Check this link out Hairtail report

Edited by bluecod

:risata::risata::risata::risata:

Great joke mate !!!

Oh you where being serious :1prop: !!

A staff members at the my local fishing shop reckons him and his mates have been getting a few now an then but he is bloody secretive person about it all..lol

kinda makes you think he isnt..

Edited by Trouble

Mate, with the greatest of respect, you would be better staying at home and chasing the wife around the bedroom, at least you have a chance of catching her. If you do go remember the bag limits that apply to hairtail wont you. :074::074::074:

Guest MarkD
A sure sign they're not!!!

56752[/snapback]

Never a truer word spoken, up there with the 60, yes sixty KG Kingfish they reported last year :risata:

Guest johblow

Man, i can remember fishing down at the ATB pontoon about 10 years ago, and boats would be coming in with heaps of hairtail. I remember watching them clean the buggers on the cleaning table there. Big long thick buggers they were too...

I caught my only every hairtail in broad daylight in stinking heat under then rail bridge - true! It was only small but; about a meter long and quite thin. Im glad i got that now!!!

Oh well... hairtail seems to be common in other places on the globe, but no longer here. Hairtail is a korean favourite - they catch it at sea, not in esturies. So there is hope...

Oh well... hairtail seems to be common in other places on the globe, but no longer here. Hairtail is a korean favourite - they catch it at sea, not in esturies. So there is hope...

56764[/snapback]

Do you think they might be ribbon fish ??

Im not sure what they are in the Asian fish shops but i heard that they get ribbon fish out at sea.....they could well get hairtail in the deep blue yonder....they are mysterious thats for sure.

We use to get them off the land on that wall at Akuna/Illawong bay 5+ years ago.

Do you think they might be ribbon fish ??

they could well get hairtail in the deep blue yonder....they are mysterious thats for sure.

We use to get them off the land on that wall at Akuna/Illawong bay 5+ years ago.

56768[/snapback]

i caught my biggest hairtail of 6.8kg and 2.1m long (see fishing monthly page 14 :1naughty: ) close offshore at night. ive read they live in the depths offshore and come in to the esturies ( supposed to anyway :risata: ) during winter to spawn.

Boof, get out there and give it a go as you just never know. ive done well previous years in Waratah Bay. Get there before sunset, plenty of burley, wire trace, ganged hooks and pillies or yakkas. Oh yeah, dont forget your red glow sticks aye Ken :1naughty:

In Brazil they fish for Hairtail ( called peixie espada ) about 500m-1km offshore.

In one night my Grandfather caught 120 fish with his friend, out of a 3m dinghy.

They had to call another boat fishing close by to help take the fish home :074: .

hope this helps

toad

Guest bluecod

Boof,

Traditionally hairtail would come on in the Cowan system after a dry spell and any rain would put them off the bite for weeks.

I'd almost [ :1naughty: ] forgotten that my best haul of hairtail was at Flint and Steel when the river was in flood, must have been at least 15 years ago, it was absolutely pelting down with rain but they were there over a period of four days - day or night didn't matter, nor did the tide - though it was a bit hard to tell when the tide had turned as the surface layer was rushing out to sea, even at F&S there was probably a foot of fresh over the salt water.

This recent rain may have just been enough to kick them into action, IF there's any around - if I was out there I'd spend the last hour of the runnout drifting livies from Cowan and then anchoring up when I got to F&S for the tide change.