Giant Cuttlefish - aboard 'Unwind'

Yakkaa

Hello folks,

Long time reader although this is my first report.

It was a great day off Sydney aboard ‘Unwind’ – Thanks gentlemen. To cut a long story short we hooked up to a giant cuttlefish whilst jigging. Im a man of few words, I’ll let the picture below do the explaining.

Another minute detail, we also bagged out on kingies – after sorting through 30 odd fish. Hats off to the crew.

Cheers.

post-16493-088799100 1337658662_thumb.jpg

Cheezus!!! That is the reason I don't go swimming in the ocean... So many nasty things that think you are food. Imagine that sucker taking a chomp on your butt. :1yikes:

It is a good day when you bag on kings! One can never complain with that. The first time I went after them I bagged out but haven't been able to replicate it since. They can be very finicky sometimes and others will just smash whatever you dangle in front of them. Funny fish.

Congrats!.

Luc.

P.S.

Welcome aboard. Hold on for the ride and watch out for that addictive bug... It will take all of your money hehehe.

It must be the brother of one i caught - they have so much ink which is like sludge in them that if we ran out of oil we can farm them....

post-7754-064175700 1337676231_thumb.png

us italians use the ink for pasta sauce ... sounds disgusting but a fancy restaurant will charge you $60 a plate for the privilege haha

Absolutely, they are just like squid only thicker. Just as tasty though.

So how do you prepare them so it doesn't end up like eating a double plugger thong?

I tried everything last year but had to give up in the end due to jaw pain.

So how do you prepare them so it doesn't end up like eating a double plugger thong?

I tried everything last year but had to give up in the end due to jaw pain.

Soak in a bowl of milk overnight and when you cook them cook it very hot very fast. The rarer the better as the more you cook it the chewier it gets. About 40 seconds to 1 minute is usually sufficient.