Shimano Jewel 902 or Starlo Classix 902

Z-ster

A while ago I purchased a Shimano Starlo Classix 902 Shorespin as part of a spinning outfit for my borther-in-law's birthday.

I really loved how lightweight the rod is and loved the fast action even more.

Ever since I purchased one for him I've been thinking of getting one for myself, however I now noticed the Shimano Jewel 902 ShoreSpin has dropped in price and is actually cheaper than the Starlo. Does anyone know how this rod compares to the 9' Starlo Classic?

I'd be fishing anything from bream, taylor, bonnies, salmon etc and probably matching it up with my Stratic FI 4000 with the spare spool

I already have a Tiralejo 9' which I use off the rocks for heavier pelagics and the like, which is paired with the Stratic.

The one thing I hate about the Tiralejo is the name. I can never remember it or how to spell it. Had to go downstairs to remind myself :biggrin2:

Other suggestions are also welcome.

My criteria is 9' fast action 6-8kg, prefer the bottom half of the blank to be relatively narrow and lightweight. Budget $100 to ~$130.

Thanks

I have the 7 foot 3-6kg and 2-4kg of the Jewell. Beautiful rod. Mainly get Bream, Flatties and what not on it. I think the 9' job is worth a look for sure. They're very similar to the Raider series and great value for money!

I've got the Classix 1062 surf, and I love it.

2 piece, very light, within your budget... I know you specified 9', but this model nearly doubles the maximum casting weight of the 9' which makes it really very versatile.

Never used a Jewel, so can't comment there, but I've heard good things!

I got the Classix 902 Shorespin matched to a Stradic FJ 5000 at the beginning of summer. Been a great combo and for spinning up salmon, bonnies etc . On that class of fish the fight is still fun but you’re in control. Even landed me some very healthy flatties off the beach around rocky outcrops on bigger jig heads and plastics. For bream on lures it’s definitely too heavy but if using bait and sinkers it’ll be fine.

I've not used a Jewel 902 so can’t comment but if I were in your position now and the prices are similar I’d compare the componentry. Blank, guides, grips etc. If the Jewel has better bits that might be the way to go.

I have the Starlo 902 and can say I wish I never purchased it. I bought it to replace a 10ft carbon rod that I was using to flick slugs of the stones. Yes the 902 was a hell of a lot lighter and you could fish with it all day, but I was unimpressed with the casting distance from it especially with a 20G slug on. Also most of the guides on my rod have started to go green and looks like crap. I wish i bought the Jewel. I spoke with a Shimano rep who told me that the Jewel in the 902 is a much better rod to cast with. Just my 2 cents worth

Me being a Silstar Crystal Blue kinda guy - i went with their 9footer which is rated 2-5kg with all the good fuji gear on it and is a gem to use...like most of the crystal blue range.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's also only just occurred to me that the Starlo 902 is 6-10kg where as the Jewel 902 is a 4-8kg. I really need to see both these in the flesh before making a decision.

Cheers

I have had the old shore spin for over 2 years its a top rod can fick metels all day matched to a stradic 5000fi loaded with 15lb on one spool and 30lb berkley fireline exceed.landed sambos talor kings to 80cm pigs to 3kg and a brute of a groper. Rods in top condition still apart from the cork grip but thats more from the roxks the from fishing use guides not showing any tarnish 10/10 rod for the price

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2