touching up rod bindings

slam354

Gooday raiders

I have a couple of old rods where the runner feet are just starting to become visible like the runner threads have weakened because the coating has deteriorated.I want to recoat them but dont know which product to use.I have some marine varnish in the garage but I think I need some epoxy and if so where can I buy these items which tackle store can help me with this.I live in Ashfield any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers Steve

The forum edits my response when I try say which chain store has these, however you should be able to find repair kits at any tackle store. Not very expensive either.

Edited by aeb870

First decide if you need to redo the binding. If the binding is okay a few coats of marine varnishnisnthe easiest option. Epoxy first is better but costs more and is harder work if you do not have a rod holder and can rotate. You can get all at most tackle shops. Binding $3 a roll, epoxy $15+ and varnish $5 ... I am a bit lazy so just redo the binding and coat with about 5 coats of varnish

Gday

If its a half decent rod I wouldn't touch it with nail polish. Get some proper rod building epoxy. It is designed to flex with the rod.

You will also have to re-wrap the guide by the sound of it if the guide foot is exposed as the thread is what gives the epoxy it's strength.

Cheers Leo