Crookhaven heads bar

ultimatefish

Hey all,

Just got the new boat and just planning for my annual trip to the south coast (greenwell point)a little bit early mmm only 5 months but was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the crookhaven heads bar, i've only ever been in a smaller boat but now i have a boat that is much more capable of tackling the open sea, so i want to make sure if there is any rules of crossing a bar especially crookhaven heads as i dont really have any great experience in this feild and would love some tips on what are the things to look out for. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by ultramitefish

As far as rules I am not so sure but I have some good tips for you after being through a few treacherous bar crossings we shouldn't have done in hindsight.

1) Always wear a lifejacket when crossing a bar.

2) There is no hurry, sit back and watch a few sets roll in to see what you are up against. Even better sit back and watch a couple of others go first to get an idea of the right part of the set to launch if needed or line through the breakers.

3) Once you make the commitment to move forward onto the bar there is no turning around! Soooo many boats have been hit with a wave side on and capsized on bars it is amazing.

4) Radio maritime safety and let them know your return times etc.

5) If you have any doubts as to the capability of your vessel in the conditions ahead do not proceed. Rolling white water hits boats very hard.

6) Ensure all passengers are healthy enough for the conditions. The last thing you want is old uncle Harry busting a hip because you jumped a wave and his buggered left knee couldn't take it and he ended up a bundled heap in the battery box at the rear of the boat shouting all sorts of obscenities. :ranting2:

7) Hang on! :mfr_lol:

Thanks Jew Stalker,

In regards to conatacting maritime i assume their channel would be listed at the local boat ramp but what do you usually have to radio in, is there a specific order, boat info,passengers etc, i guess i could just tune into others going out before hand but i just want to be a bit more prepared than the newbie that i am in this field.

Edited by ultramitefish

As for radio questions. your local marine rescue should be 16 VHF 88 27mhz. call them up. they will tell you to go to another channel and ask you what they need to know.

Vessel call sign, Car rego, where you launched, where you plan to fish ( roughly ) Time of return, how many on board, and mobile phone number if you have one on board.

It is regulations that crossing any bar all people on the vessel must be wearing life jackets.

The Crookhaven bar is generally easy to cross. Best thing to seat abck and watch over boats before going yourself. You do have to be careful on this bar in regards to the channel as it does get narrow. The indicators installed on the land to guide the larger vessels will show you the channel.

In regards to signing on with marine rescue, just give them a call on the radio. The first time they will ask you all the details in regards to your boat and after that you will only need to provide trip details. Best way to give them details is to go visit them, Even better join them as it only costs a few dollars a year and then you know you are covered.

As for crossing the bar. Seriously get some experience with yourself and your boat in open waters before attempting a bar crossing. Even if you pick a good day you can go out and it can be as flat as a board and when you come in the conditions may have changed and can be dangerous. especially the that bar

the crookhaven bar is probably the safest bar in the state ,really only an issue in a strong north easter and a run out tide,a southerly of 30 knots and a run out tide, it will be flat as ,so if it blowing from the north east and your a tad nervous dont try and cross it on the run out ,but its still pretty safe compared to narooma ,or southwest rocks etc ,

you pretty much only get pressure waves not breakers(genrally)

wear a pdf1

If you're on VHF, go to channel 16. Hold the call button down and say "Marine Rescue Shoalhaven, Marine Rescue Shoalhaven this is XXXXX (your boat rego to begin with), over". When they respond they will probably ask you to go to channel 73 as 16 is only used for initial contact and emergencies. When you respond say "this is XXXXX, left yyyy ramp going to zzzz. Returning at tttt. They will then ask you how many on board, do you have a mobile phone on board, car rego. If you join your local Marine Rescue all your details will be kept on their computer system and are available wherever you log on. Don't forget to log off when you return. It's the same on 27MHz, but the channel numbers are different.

thanks for all the info, i watched the video link on the fishraider homepage "how touse you marine radio" very informative.. will definatley feel more confident now, now just to find those new fishing spots out there....the adventure begins....