Sandbar (near Forster)

Cameron

My son and I generally take off for a week fishing during winter, but this year we cannot manage a week. I was thinking of heading off for a long weekend to a place I have heard about called Sandbar, near Forster. I understand that the caravan park there is on Smiths Lake. I'm not sure whether we will take the boat this time round, but instead hit the beach and rocks. We might throw the canoe on the roof so as to fish the lake.

Does anyone know this spot and is able to comment on what we might expect there?

mmmmmmmm just lost my first reply :1badmood: here i go again

i do not not recomend the lake for a weekend away. although when i fished the lake i was alot more inexperienced but all i managed to pick up was a lot of small bream and 1 or 2 small flathead :05: though we did manage to hook one good one that spat the hook before we even had a look at it :1badmood:.so after to days wasted on the lake we decieded to lauch at forster :1clap: well what a good decision that was :1yikes: that day we bagged 15 flathead to 80cm and and extras like small whiting bream and leather jacket. we used FRESH prawns that you are able to buy from the local tackle shop in forster.

so theres my recomendation, although i fished the lake 2 years ago with bait it did not produce :05:

if i was you i would book the weekend at the tuncurry caravan park

just my opinion :thumbup:

We went up there quite a few years ago for a school Biology trip and had a ball.

We didn't fish while we were there but its an awesome spot. Its a little bit out of the way so it is very quiet and relaxing. If I was going there to fish I would concerntrate on the beaches and rocks and the lake looked pretty barren when we were snorkelling.

Seals rocks is just up the road and is meant to be a good rock fishing spot (I have never fished it). Snorkelling there was great with plenty of fish and squid on the inside of the point.

Chased a few squid around there for a while until one of the boys pointed out that a few of the girls were in swiming :1yikes::1naughty: ................ Great memories :biggrin2:

I take the family and go up every year and stay at that caravan park, but usually hire out the cabins. The lake adjacent has small bream, but thats about it, you might have to travel around to the deeper parts of the lake to catch anything decent. The beach is a great fishing spot, so if your'e into beach fishing, I reckon that would be a better option. Otherwise, grab one of the fishing directories and try the myriad of other lakes and creeks in the area, ET did a show there just some weeks ago. Its great up there, but we usually go in spring or summer.

I used to holiday at Elizabeth beach (pacific palms) every holidays for years.

The lake has some great crabbing but as others have said is quite shallow. We used to water ski it a lot and aciddentaly fall off right next to the commercial crab pots :1naughty::1naughty:

lizzy & Shelly beach is great for live beach worms, some good gutters at blueys, boomerang and also soledo(at sandbar).

I would definately go with Dragged's option of tuncurry tourist park(or similar)

Forter will produce much more that your averabe beach haul this time of year and the park is supposed to be beautiful.

changa

hahahahahah,

you had to spill the beans Bung...........lol

we used to do a lot of spearing there. great squid off the rocks and some good crays.

Also lots of other good eating fish.

changa