First snapper on plastic

boattart

With the weather looking good it didn't take much convincing for a couple of crew to take a day off work to fish yesterday (Friday). The call was made to fish the Hump for reds and not long after starting the drift a 35cm model gave us huge encouragement. Shortly later a seal dampened our enthusiasm. About 9.40 my Squidgy was sinking slowly when the slack braid seemed to take up rather quickly and a few seconds later weight. As I struck he peeled of some line then settled into a slugging match. The first minute or so was a stalemate but the head thumps told me the species was right. As he rose to the surface I could see the distinctive bump on the head from maybe 10 metre down and all I could think of was the seal. With great relief we slipped him into the undersized net and no seal. At 65cm and 4.7kg or 10.40lb he was a great start to my soft plastic snapper fishing.

The following 4 hours produced 1 maori wrasse and 1 sargent baker so a quick stop for some flathead was needed so I didn't have to fight the crew for my red. After a few drifts 15 nice fat flatties in the 40-50 cm range were added to the ice slurry and we returned to Cronulla.

post-12518-080471800 1338609746_thumb.jpg

post-12518-033171200 1338609793_thumb.jpg

Nice work on a lovely fish mate! I heard your screams of joy (I can see myself in the background of your pic :biggrin2: )

It was a little slow, I managed one at 48cm and 6 pannies. Hopefully it will fire up shortly

Edited by fishmaniac

Nice catch mate!

it will make you fish harder on all those future casts just knowing whats down there.

we fished the washes around sydney the same day for some small reds and rat kings.

what lure did the damage? i was fishing the stereo type gulps and was totally outfished by my mate with another lure choice...

chewie

Got the fish on a Squidgy slick rig. About 5 inch long in the white with red head.

The flatties were on bait. once they shredded the tails we had on I just used bait.

Edited by boattart