First boat

trentarena89

Hey guys, so I decided I am going to buy my first boat.

I have come here seeking a little bit on info to set me on the right track, as I've never owned a boat I need some info on what size is suitable for what I want to do

I am looking at something around 12-14ft just to get me offshore, not too far. Targeting Kings, Bonito, maybe Snapper and anything that I can find not too far offshore

Would someone be able to point me in the direction of what I should be looking for in terms of engine and hull size. Will be buying a second hand one too if that helps.

Thanks, if you need any more info I'll try to provide as much as possible

to go offshore i would have a minimum size of 4.8m -16foot in length and a minimum of 50hp engine (thats just my opinion)i see smaller boats out side but conditions can change very quick and its to late once your introuble ,you cant just pull over and call the nrma if you know what i mean regards dunc333.

I had a qunnie 420 topender c/c with a forty merc on the back.

Used it to fish out of belambi.It was ok but as soon as the wind and swell

pick up you get very wet and wasn't much fun. but if you pick your days

you will be able to get out and have some fun.

Hi,

Well I guess size and motor is just a small part of the equation. Do you want fibreglass or aluminium, centre console, cuddy cab or half cab etc. I think you need to look at your needs, ie. family, type of fishing, budget etc. and then go from there. Make a list of what's important to you in a boat and then look at types that best suit you. On any given day a kayak or a 40 footer will get you outside it all depends on your level of confidence and the conditions. Buying a boat can be really confusing but when you think hard about what you want and what you will use, the decision becomes a lot easier. Good luck and have fun with the research and choosing!!

Dave

to go offshore i would have a minimum size of 4.8m -16foot in length and a minimum of 50hp engine (thats just my opinion)i see smaller boats out side but conditions can change very quick and its to late once your introuble ,you cant just pull over and call the nrma if you know what i mean regards dunc333.

I agree with Dunc all the way maybe it 15.5ft but no smaller. then the other thing is not to get something too old, older boats dont handle like the newer ones and with older motors once they start breaking down you may aswell replace them.

TEST DRIVE FIRST some boats are big enough to go offshore but are very unstable = see how much they rock when another boat goes past will give you an idear what its going to be constantly doing offshore

Hi,

Well I guess size and motor is just a small part of the equation. Do you want fibreglass or aluminium, centre console, cuddy cab or half cab etc. I think you need to look at your needs, ie. family, type of fishing, budget etc. and then go from there. Make a list of what's important to you in a boat and then look at types that best suit you. On any given day a kayak or a 40 footer will get you outside it all depends on your level of confidence and the conditions. Buying a boat can be really confusing but when you think hard about what you want and what you will use, the decision becomes a lot easier. Good luck and have fun with the research and choosing!!

Dave

Wow I really didn't consider those options, seems I need to do a little more research, thanks!

Another important issue... How much do u want to spend??? This will determine a lot about what u can get...

I'm wanting to spend no more than $6000. Being my first boat and a student that my maximum budget.

I agree with Dunc all the way maybe it 15.5ft but no smaller. then the other thing is not to get something too old, older boats dont handle like the newer ones and with older motors once they start breaking down you may aswell replace them.

TEST DRIVE FIRST some boats are big enough to go offshore but are very unstable = see how much they rock when another boat goes past will give you an idear what its going to be constantly doing offshore

Thanks, how old would you consider too old?

so you have 6k and need a 15ft boat, break it down into its component pieces

10-15 year old 60hp engine $2500

trailer $1000-$1500

leaves you 2k for a hull so 15+ year old aluminium with a very basic fit out

the boat in my profile is 16ft and cost me 9k and needed a fair bit of work, trailer is shagged etc

With your budget, In my opinion I would suggest you look at some thing like a Brooker 410 Fisherman. you should be able to buy a package around 2005 possibly newer with a 30HP 2 stroke with your budget. it is a good open boat with quite hide sides for it's size that will get you a km or so outside in swells 1m or less. Whilst it might be ideal to get a large boat for heading outside, The investment gets a lot larger and generally you end up with an old boat that needs a bomb sunk into to keep it going, trailer falling apart, old motor having issues etc. Also with the smaller boat it's easier enough launch the boat your self, easier to tow and store and on the whole you are more likely to use it. This is what i have found in my experience.If you have not done so yet get out to a few dealers and take a look at what you get for your money with your own eyes. You will be surprised at how expensive boats are.

Edited by Cheap Charlie

Hi, check out the boats I have listed in the "boat of the week" section and there is a great little Trailcraft that is $1K over budget but well worth looking at because it is a strong safe boat that could easily go offshore on the right day, but as the guys have said some days you would not want to go "offshore" in anything and to me "offshore" maybe different to the next guy. All said and done if the budget is $6K you maybe limited.

Cheers,

Huey.

I sent you a Message

Thanks mate, sent you a reply

Hi, check out the boats I have listed in the "boat of the week" section and there is a great little Trailcraft that is $1K over budget but well worth looking at because it is a strong safe boat that could easily go offshore on the right day, but as the guys have said some days you would not want to go "offshore" in anything and to me "offshore" maybe different to the next guy. All said and done if the budget is $6K you maybe limited.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

Thanks for that, where is the boat of the week section, I couldn't find it on your site.

Yeah I understand I'm limited to my budget but yeah, anything that will get me out around 1km just so I have a chance at some nice Kings/bonnies etc.