Hairy sesh

mimyo

Just got back from a top sesh in Cowan, kept 7 hairtail with the bigger ones going 1.5. Yakkas and pillies did the damage. Better strike rate this time only lost 4! Also I let go a scumbo and about 30 soaps. I was on my pat malone and had a ball with all the action... I'll sleep well tonight.

Hi,

So what made the difference to your strike rate? Also what rig where you using, did you use gangs, wire etc? Hope you don't mind sharing cos it seems you had exactly the opposite experience than we did the other night!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

So what made the difference to your strike rate? Also what rig where you using, did you use gangs, wire etc? Hope you don't mind sharing cos it seems you had exactly the opposite experience than we did the other night!

Dave

Hi Dave

The only difference between the two nights was last night they were heaps more aggressive, nowhere near as timid. They were smashing my baits and yes I was using wire and gangs. I sounded out a huge baitball and anchored over them. Just read your post in fish chat and you definitely need to up your hook size to 3/0.

Mim

Awsome job mate. Must of been great to raise a few of these critters into the boat. Were you fishing with light sinkers? and how far off the ground?

Thanks mate,

No sinkers, the gangs and pilly is enough weight and they were fished mid water.

Hi mate

I caught a couple at Whitehorse Bay on Sat arvo,live yellowtail,bycatch, but seriously, I cant be bothered cleaning them, and my first experience of rubbing off the chrome, slabbing them and bbq ing them was disastrous. Can you give me your recipe , cause I really found them boney and not very nice to eat.

regards

how far up cowan were you. i headed around jbay with not a touch. looking at heading out friday night. I launch from akuna bay, might have to head down that way. cheers

Coming from Akuna I was past WB in a inlet that was full of yakkas, so I camped there. Good luck on Friday night if you go.

Hi mate

I caught a couple at Whitehorse Bay on Sat arvo,live yellowtail,bycatch, but seriously, I cant be bothered cleaning them, and my first experience of rubbing off the chrome, slabbing them and bbq ing them was disastrous. Can you give me your recipe , cause I really found them boney and not very nice to eat.

regards

Hi mate,

I know what you mean about the bones, I used to think what's the go with this fish the first time I tried them. Then I started to fillet them and what a difference having a boneless fillet is. Then you can cook em however you like they are delicious. The 7 fish weighed in at 13kg gutted and took me 1.5 hours to fillet. Made a soup with some of the bones and that was mad as well. If you want any more info Just let me know.