Towing a glass boat

locodave

Hi,

I have a 5.4 Cox Craft glass boat. Their site claims it to weigh around the 1200Kg mark. I'm currently towing it with my honda accord v6 which just makes the towing limit. Handles it pretty well, except the accord is quite low.

If I get a subaru forester diesel their limit is 1600 kgs. It should be a lot easier to tow right? I heard a comment on here that the clutch isn't the best, but I think I can live with that or replace it further down the track. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi,

I have a 5.4 Cox Craft glass boat. Their site claims it to weigh around the 1200Kg mark. I'm currently towing it with my honda accord v6 which just makes the towing limit. Handles it pretty well, except the accord is quite low.

If I get a subaru forester diesel their limit is 1600 kgs. It should be a lot easier to tow right? I heard a comment on here that the clutch isn't the best, but I think I can live with that or replace it further down the track. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

clutch longevity can relate alot to a drivers abilities, so if you buy a forester that has had a numpty driver, then you are going to be more concerned... but - how the heck do you know?

if you have been fine with an accord, then why the change?

must it be AWD + diesel + wagon?

Because I don't feel comfortable with the accord. Im at it's limit. With the weight on the back it chews a lot of petrol and rides quite low.

I prefer a diesel for torque, AWD to help me pull out of the ramp, wagon because the accord is my fathers car and he won't let me trade it for a pick up ute haha

Because I don't feel comfortable with the accord. Im at it's limit. With the weight on the back it chews a lot of petrol and rides quite low.

I prefer a diesel for torque, AWD to help me pull out of the ramp, wagon because the accord is my fathers car and he won't let me trade it for a pick up ute haha

in that case, sounds like a forester woudl be a good choice,

have a look here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f81/

and maybe you'll find out which models (if any) have weak clutches... (PLUS lots more!)

Edited by user1829

buying an Automatic Forester will get around your clutch issues if that is an issue.

Have you thought about just buying a vehicle purely to launch and retrieve the boat for 3 - 4k? If you wanted to spend less and the ramps you launch at would allow you to get away with a 2wd, you can buy a VS Commodore for $1000. They had 2 different tow bar options from the factory. Light Duty 1200KG bar and then a HD 1600 / 2100KG tow bar. For the HD towing package to jump from 1600 to 2100 was simply the inclusion of a transmission cooler.

Given the distance you are towing then I think Burnsy has hit the nail on the head. 3T towing rated means you are looking at a late model 4x4 Diesel ute or a wagon variant eg, Land Cruiser,Patrol etc9

Going back to the Forester Diesel scenario, They come in a 2LTR with a Manual transmission only with a max tow rating of 1600kg.

The other side of the coin is could you sell the boat and buy an alloy boat to save you having to change vehicles?

One thing to keep in mind is that the website says the boat weighs 1200kg...by the time you add fuel, fishing gear, esky etc you can easily add another few hundred kilo in there

Edited by mako2000

Always go over with the rated capacity.

For example, I previously had a Ford Territory AWD (One of the best cars that I have owned) Towing capacity 2250kgs.

Up traded the Quintrex Tow weight 1800kgs to a Trophy 2102 - Approx 2100-2200kgs.

Sold the Territory and bought a Nissan Navara - 3000kgs tow capacity.

You want the ability to stay in control in case of an emergency.

take care with the subaru they have a dual mass flywheel and are pull type clutch {expencive as hell to replace}

the conversion to a solid flywheel and clutch will run you around 1k {with labour}

just a little heads up and saying that you can fry there clutch just as quick as anyother on a slipery ramp

john