Lilli Pilli

Rodb73

Hi all Raiders,

I've been fishing Lilli Pilli Baths now for some time and dont seem to manage anything at all, other than the little reds that do nothing but take bait.

Is there anyone out there who fishes the hacking (land based), that could give me some tips please???

Baits, rigs and maybe some locations.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work with this site.

Hey mate, I also fish landbased around the hacking, have only just started to get into soft plastics my self, have caught ONE flatty the past 6 times I have been, no luck with bream, trevally or any other species, thinking about giving the hard bodies a go, I could also do with a few pointers about what soft plastics, hardbodies work best landbased, and any decent locations to!!

Hey mate, I also fish landbased around the hacking, have only just started to get into soft plastics my self, have caught ONE flatty the past 6 times I have been, no luck with bream, trevally or any other species, thinking about giving the hard bodies a go, I could also do with a few pointers about what soft plastics, hardbodies work best landbased, and any decent locations to!!

fishing at the moment is a bit hard land based (i am talking central coast personally)

i had one great night mid-may on SP's with a big flatty and 3 x tailor, several bream, then dounts since then...

so just to just feel some rod bending, went bait fishing yesterday, for about 10 little reds, a LJ and some small whiting... no rod bends from these guys :(

i just don't think the bigger fish were around, or if they were, they were not feeding?

i could have changed spots - i just wasn't sure where to go... upstream, or out to the ocean side???

sometimes the ecosystems are in a state of change - right now there is not the same action as a month ago... different species and different tactics are required?

sorry i cant give you tips, but i can share your situations...

i will not give up and will keep thinking about the fish and where & why they might be some place...

G'day Rod - have been there a couple of times in the last month, and come back with salmon and bonito, a few dropped salmon and a couple of bustoffs. Yesterday there were a couple of kids in a tinny that were pulling in salmon and tailor one after the other - naturally they were just out of casting distance.

Between the 3 of us we had different rigs - one float, one dropper sinker rig, one running sinker. All using different size hooks, sinkers and rods, but were all getting bites. If all you are getting is the undersize snapper, perhaps try a slightly larger hook - expect to lose more bait as the pickers will still take their share, but experimenting with hook size means you should be able to avoid the little ones. Having said that though, my brother caught a 60cm+ salmon on a small hook he was using to try and get baitfish with...

Thanks for the replies guys and to you, ScottyB. I was there on Saturday night with 2 others, we all had different rigs and different baits and still couldn't get a look in. The frustration, that being said, I still enjoy getting out for a fish. But I am very eager to get those rods bending with something bigger.

What sort of bait and setup were you using ScottyB for the bonito?

Thanks guys

Rodb

Does anyone fish landbased around the hacking or botany with SP's and HB's? Also is there any landbased Jewwy spots for SP's? - Have been trying for months now with 'ONE' hookup to a 45cm flatty. Been using squidgee wrigglers and some 3` gulps. Any tips on location, and what lures to use would be much appreciated, feel free to PM me if you want you're location hidden.

Edited by BBR86

What sort of bait and setup were you using ScottyB for the bonito?

Rod it was also a mix. First time (a few weeks back) was prawns, and poddy-mullet size bait fish that Dad noticed in a fish shop and thought he'd try. On Sunday was squid, prawns and pichards. From memory the bonito took the baitfish (not sure of the name, sorry will have to check).

Rigs were also different. Dad had a smallish (1/0 or 1) size hook under a float on the alvey. Bro had a similar size hook, about 40cm leader to a swivel with a running drop sinker. Mine was the same rig as my brothers, although I muck around with the length of the leader, larger sinker on a 10-15cm running dropper, with 2/0 - 4/0 hooks on the big rod. Small rod simple running ball sinker - swivel - trace - hook.

On Sunday we went for a good couple of hours without a bite, whereas the kids in a tinny 100m away were pulling in fish after fish, but they may have been berleying for a while before we got there, and ours wasn't effective in comparison.

Hope that helps Rod - we've tried there a couple of times after hearing of some good catches in the area although mainly from boats. Still sussing out the area from a land based perspective.

ScottyB

Edited by SCOTTYB

Does anyone fish landbased around the hacking or botany with SP's and HB's? Also is there any landbased Jewwy spots for SP's? - Have been trying for months now with 'ONE' hookup to a 45cm flatty. Been using squidgee wrigglers and some 3` gulps. Any tips on location, and what lures to use would be much appreciated, feel free to PM me if you want you're location hidden.

Used to years back with SP's - some good flatties then, but as I said that was years back. Haven't gotten one recently, but have only been to Lilli Pilli lately. There was a place called Atwell's Boatshed where you could hire a tinny from and nearly as far as Bundeena - not sure if they are still there, but might be worth a look to get out to some deeper holes? Have had Jew from Bundeena, but again haven't been back for the last few years.

Thanks a lot Scott for the info, it's much appreciated. As the saying goes, you gotta be in it to win it...!!! So I guess I'll keep trying.

Might see you down there one day mate, I fish there fairly frequently these days.

Yeah its getting really frustrating :o... Been trying kurnell near the caltex wharf, and nearly every single one of the groins there without success, lilli pillie, gymea baths and numerous locations around the hacking where I can get to landbased... I need to get something soon because my confidence on plastics is getting worse and worse!

Thanks a lot Scott for the info, it's much appreciated. As the saying goes, you gotta be in it to win it...!!! So I guess I'll keep trying.

Might see you down there one day mate, I fish there fairly frequently these days.

No problem Rod.

Yeah its getting really frustrating :o... Been trying kurnell near the caltex wharf, and nearly every single one of the groins there without success, lilli pillie, gymea baths and numerous locations around the hacking where I can get to landbased... I need to get something soon because my confidence on plastics is getting worse and worse!

no fish around at this moment mate, my advice is to get on a boat.