Saturday 9th from Cronulla

boattart

Decided to take the kids for a fish on Saturday after morning soccer duties were done. Didn't get away from the marina till 1.00pm but the weather was too good to pass. Started to troll around Jibbon and to the south but no joy on the Bonnies or Kings and as we got in close to the cliffs the backwash from the big swell meant one crew member wanted a return to calmer waters so pulled the gear and head up off Wanda. Started one long drift and a few flathead started coming aboard although most were 30-32 cm we did manged 3 keepers around the 38-40cm mark when one of the "flathead" decided he wanted to peel off a bit of line. As I helped out a little I realise we where actually onto something a bit bigger and after a couple of minutes saw a big white flash of colour which turned out to be an 80cm Gummy Shark. At 4.00pm we pulled in the lines and headed in. Not bad for a 3 hour boat trip in beautiful weather.

post-12518-075790300 1339377776_thumb.jpg

Now I need to find some sheltered spots up Port Hacking to take my daughter who loves her fishing but still getting her sea legs. If anyone can suggest somewhere it would be much appreciated as her big brother is catching all the fish lately and she's missing out a bit.

Well done there Dad. My two girls are atill in the fair weather category but I am still hoping they get a little more adventuresome soon. A bit of whale watching is always a good start if you want to get them a little offshore without noticing!

Cheers

Erroll

Hi Boattart,

It is a bit late in the season now, but try(your daughter) fishing around shark island (in Summer) as there is no backwash and the swell is much less there than at the Bommie. From late November till April Kings, tailors, bonitos are plentiful around shark island especially on the northern and eastern side. Pick up live yakkas near the 3 yellow buoys north of the island, then slow troll the livies around shark island and the buoys and the kids should have a great time. Bonitos prefer the pink skirts(Xmas trees) around Shark Island and tailors with skirts off Wanda close to the surf.Otherwise if the kids still get seasick try slow troll livies in front of ET's place(off Shiprock Rd) in the Hacking for kings.

Regards Kit