Ridiculous morning

trentarena89

So after two weeks without even so much as looking at the ocean I decided to layer on my clothes and venture out for my first time to Wattamolla Beach this morning.

I arrived at 8am to a closed gate thinking..."damn that's be right" so I headed down to Garie beach to have a cuppa to warm up. There was a tonne of people down there fishing and the conditions looked less than favourable. I decided I might as well try my luck looking for another beach to fish and low and behold I drove past Wattamolla and the gates had opened. Anyways I get down there and there is no one there, the water looked pretty rough but no white wash which was good. I baited up and within a second of the bait hitting the water I was on - I didn't even get a chance to sit down - I pulled up a nice 50~ cm Aussie Salmon. I'm thinking to myself now..."damn, that must be good omen". I cast out my next bait...sat down then bam! on again to an even bigger model. Rigged up again Bam! again, at this point I'm sort of laughing at myself, it was me alone on this beach with a seagull with one foot. Long story short I got 4 Salmon in 15 minutes.

After the fourth, I noticed a tangle on my spool so I cast out and tried to clear it up...turns out my braid had snapped about 30-40 metres in and just as luck would have it, I hooked on to a fish and lost everything. Annoyed I cleaned up the 4 Salmon I had and sat there having a cuppa (so glad I brought a thermo of tea at this point) and I said "one last cast then I'm going" on again in a matter of seconds and then again for number 6.

At this point another bloke rocked up saw my fish and decided to fish from the rocks just north East of me and cast out directly across the beach.

Decided to call it at this point due to the rain and wind.

But yeah, not a bad first trip to that beach...and here I was saying I hated beach fishing

Going to try out a recipe I found on here for fishcakes.

I got a new PB out of my Aussie Salmon too, in at 64cm

post-22812-064487800 1339382066_thumb.jpg

So after two weeks without even so much as looking at the ocean I decided to layer on my clothes and venture out for my first time to Wattamolla Beach this morning.

I arrived at 8am to a closed gate thinking..."damn that's be right" so I headed down to Garie beach to have a cuppa to warm up. There was a tonne of people down there fishing and the conditions looked less than favourable. I decided I might as well try my luck looking for another beach to fish and low and behold I drove past Wattamolla and the gates had opened. Anyways I get down there and there is no one there, the water looked pretty rough but no white wash which was good. I baited up and within a second of the bait hitting the water I was on - I didn't even get a chance to sit down - I pulled up a nice 50~ cm Aussie Salmon. I'm thinking to myself now..."damn, that must be good omen". I cast out my next bait...sat down then bam! on again to an even bigger model. Rigged up again Bam! again, at this point I'm sort of laughing at myself, it was me alone on this beach with a seagull with one foot. Long story short I got 4 Salmon in 15 minutes.

After the fourth, I noticed a tangle on my spool so I cast out and tried to clear it up...turns out my braid had snapped about 30-40 metres in and just as luck would have it, I hooked on to a fish and lost everything. Annoyed I cleaned up the 4 Salmon I had and sat there having a cuppa (so glad I brought a thermo of tea at this point) and I said "one last cast then I'm going" on again in a matter of seconds and then again for number 6.

At this point another bloke rocked up saw my fish and decided to fish from the rocks just north East of me and cast out directly across the beach.

Decided to call it at this point due to the rain and wind.

But yeah, not a bad first trip to that beach...and here I was saying I hated beach fishing

Going to try out a recipe I found on here for fishcakes.

I got a new PB out of my Aussie Salmon too, in at 64cm

nice bag of sambos there they will make you some great fishcakes if you use the recipe i am thinking of :beersmile::beersmile::thumbup::yahoo:

I fish caked the ones I caught on saturday..

Must say that I will never again be feeding the fish to my dog as the cakes were quite good.

That's a good haul of sambos!

That's good news, I am about to cook mine now.

I can definitely recommend you try that beach, about 20 min north of Stanwell park, not really affected by swell or wind...I'd say it's better in a rough swell.

That's a great catch mate. I normaly fish the ledge when I go that is on the south side from where you were close to the rock that sticks out. There is a track that leads there and you need to climb a little. The current comes around and forms a nice eddy.

J

I laughed with envy when I read this post, why? because I was supposed to go there yesterday as well. I had a tingling feeling like spider man has, that salmon would be here the night before. My plan was to go there and fish of the ledges, but as fate would have it it wasn't to be. My little girl was up all night vomiting and not being able to sleep. Luckly in a way I didnt go cause I would of wait 3 hrs for that gate to open :wacko: Anyway very nice haul of fish. I to would of laughed if I had that all to myself. I just can't get over that they come so close to the beach in that bay. Did the other guy get any from were he was. Now I'm thinking ledge or beach, which one should i choose if I go down one day.

I laughed with envy when I read this post, why? because I was supposed to go there yesterday as well. I had a tingling feeling like spider man has, that salmon would be here the night before. My plan was to go there and fish of the ledges, but as fate would have it it wasn't to be. My little girl was up all night vomiting and not being able to sleep. Luckly in a way I didnt go cause I would of wait 3 hrs for that gate to open :wacko: Anyway very nice haul of fish. I to would of laughed if I had that all to myself. I just can't get over that they come so close to the beach in that bay. Did the other guy get any from were he was. Now I'm thinking ledge or beach, which one should i choose if I go down one day.

Hey mate, that's a shame about the little one. I fished just off the corner of the beach. Due to the rain that little lagoon has turned into a small - yet very fast paced - river running straight into the bay, that's why I think they were there, So I fished on a little patch of sand/rock between the river and the rock ledge, only had to cast out maybe 15-20 metres. Nah the other bloke didn't catch anything which I thought was weird and he had two rods going.

I'm going to be back there Friday from around midday to fish the incoming tide again, you're welcome to come if you have the free time. Hopefully I can hook onto some tailor or something else.

I saw a bloke fishing off there he didn't last too long the swell was pretty rough. I think I saw the track, is it up the hill from the toilets? Do you just use a flat rig?

Cheers

The best way to describe it is to have a look at google maps. You can see the track snake down to a clearing. Cross that clearing and continue near the south point of the bay and you will find a worn track that goes down to your left towards the water. There is a small climb of a few meters down with the aid of a cable that is there to the ledge. I normally take a rope to lower my gear if by myself. You should be protected by the southerlies but watch those northerly swells. Always be alert and look out for your safety.

I haven't fished the ledge in a year but I have fished the entrance on my boat. There are some good sized flatheads there.

Normally I fish a paternosta rig and pillies off the ledge. There are rocks close in and a sandy bottom further out. I've heard of jewies being caught early morning and late evening but the gates are closed. Once apon a time they used to be left open. I think I'm showing my age now. :biggrin2:

Hope this helps

J

Hey mate, that's a shame about the little one. I fished just off the corner of the beach. Due to the rain that little lagoon has turned into a small - yet very fast paced - river running straight into the bay, that's why I think they were there, So I fished on a little patch of sand/rock between the river and the rock ledge, only had to cast out maybe 15-20 metres. Nah the other bloke didn't catch anything which I thought was weird and he had two rods going.

I'm going to be back there Friday from around midday to fish the incoming tide again, you're welcome to come if you have the free time. Hopefully I can hook onto some tailor or something else.

Friday hey, well I'll try and make it, I'm actually sick now (caught it off the liitle one) so I'm off work, Im going to try and take off Friday of as well but if i cant ill be doing a morning shift and fininshing just after 1.30pm, if im up to it i well come down for a fish. I dont normally bait fish so what bait do I need to bring, or maybe I'll just bring my spinning gear which I use of the rocks.

Cheers