Broken Bay Snapper

Wriggler1

Hello Fishraiders,

Looking at spending some serious time on the water over winter, really want to try and have a few options though. Know about the jew, hairies, luderick and breambos but not too sure how I would go about targeting some reds. Never really been outside of box head/joey although my boat is perfectly capable in calm conditions and I have all the necessary safety gear...flares etc. So I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on how I would go about targeting the snapper. If you wouldn't mind sharing a few locations it would be appreciated even if they are only via pm but even just some info in what makes good grounds for reds would be great. Water depth, bottom structure, baits, lures, line, leader etc. Any general info would be awesome. In return I'm happy to share the location of a little central coast dam I know of stocked with bass that is perfectly legal to fish during the closed season, little bit of a bush bash but well worth it. Thanks guys,

Adam

There's two ways you can target snapper. Bait or SP. For SP grab some 7" Jerkshads and large wrigglers and your on your way. With baits, things like squid, pillies and other fish flesh are standard. Another deadly method of snaring a few bigger reds is to livebait with slimies, yakkas and small squid. The fish are generally good quality when taken using this method. Burley is key as well! Location wise, i'm not too sure about outside broken bay. What i will say is that Lion island has a fair few reds kicking about. The NE corner and SE corner are two of my favourite spots. Burley up and you should get a fair few pannies with the odd bigger red (60cm+) kicking around two. The by-catch here is good too with jew, flatties and trevally on the cards. When trying to find good snapper ground, you need to find a mix of gravel and reef and your on your way :biggrin2:

Good luck!

I have caught snapper just out of Broken Bay at this time of year. Here's the spot.......head due east from Barrenjoey headland until the tip of the lighthouse comes into view, then drop a reef pick. Only 500m or so off the headland. Good Luck!

Hello Fishraiders,

Looking at spending some serious time on the water over winter, really want to try and have a few options though. Know about the jew, hairies, luderick and breambos but not too sure how I would go about targeting some reds. Never really been outside of box head/joey although my boat is perfectly capable in calm conditions and I have all the necessary safety gear...flares etc. So I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on how I would go about targeting the snapper. If you wouldn't mind sharing a few locations it would be appreciated even if they are only via pm but even just some info in what makes good grounds for reds would be great. Water depth, bottom structure, baits, lures, line, leader etc. Any general info would be awesome. In return I'm happy to share the location of a little central coast dam I know of stocked with bass that is perfectly legal to fish during the closed season, little bit of a bush bash but well worth it. Thanks guys,

Adam

Hi Adam

I live at Woy Woy and i also a keen fisho. I can fish any time as I do not work.I prefer to fish the broken bay area. I have my own boat but it is difficult to find some one available during the week.Ring me any time at 43 421731 or 0412002712 for a chat

Regards Ron

I never knew you could get snapper at lion island. Always wanted to catch a few pan size ones!

Winters a good time too mate! Run in Tide on the SE OR NE corners are the go! A few undersized fish but plenty of pannies (35-45cm) fish available with the odd better fish! Give it a go!