Mercury 40hp lightning xr model

mehmet

Hi guys , there seems to be a problem with my throttle or petrol lines when I excel aerate it cuts out is this because it needs a service or I got to get the carbys clean , any mechanics use recommend cheers matt

Hi guys , there seems to be a problem with my throttle or petrol lines when I excel aerate it cuts out is this because it needs a service or I got to get the carbys clean , any mechanics use recommend cheers matt

Could you give a little history on the outboard, I.e. when did it start happening etc.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but when you throttle and it cuts out, to me it sounds like its not getting enough fuel.

More background info will help.

I just purchased the boat a month ago all running beutiful the last trip I had she kept on cutting out , it's a 06 model 2 stroke 3 cylinder yes it's seems there was not enogh fuel getting through when excels rating , some times she works like a beauty ,for sevice history ,it's got log books but nothings been entered

When I had my last outboard this happened to me as well. I discovered trhat the fuel tank I had ( Plastic one) had a valve on the top that let air in as it used the petrol. I loosened this and it stopped stalling out on me and ran beautifully until I sold the boat. (worst descision of my life :(((( )

Sounds like a blocked filter to me

mate u might also have dirty or water in your fuel.

check the water seperating fuel filter.

I also had a formosa 520 centre console but with a larger 75hp merc on it. Also check the spark plugs.

another big thing to check is your fly wheel magnet. if your accelerating and it gives bumps and loss in acceleration it could be a crack in your fly wheel magnet.

out of interest, how does your boat go with a 40hp? your boat is rated to 90hp 2 stroke

I recently just brought a quintrex 460 dory , I love my boats lol it s the engine on that , I to have a merc 75 on that aswell . Is there anyway I can chech to see if the fuel pump had its day

Guest Aussie007

when u buy a second hand boat dont use the fuel that is in the tank even if the seller says he just filled up always tip it out and start fresh because u dont know how long the last of the fuel sat in the tank and u dont know if theres any other contaminating shit in there and if u want to test the fuel pump pump the primer untill it goes hard than start the engine and continue to pump the primer if problem solved all good if not

remove the fuel hose take both plugs off the hose and hold the hose vertical than turn it around hold it the other way u want to drain all the fuel in the fuel hose now look on the bottom of the carby(s) there will be a single screw on the bottom of each carby undo the screw and let all the fuel drain out than do up the screws reconnect the hose add fresh fuel and u shouldnt have any problems unless the main jets are blocked with shit than u will need to remove the carbies and clean them with carby cleaner and a air compressor

I got exact same motor

The only time mines ever done that is when the little rubber o ring on the quick connect fitting

wore a little n was letting a little bit of air in which was enough

i also had it happen to another merc motor was a 2005 25hp

also check all the way up the line