knots favourite, best, easiest, strongest

sydangler

About a year ago I started looking into how to improve my rigs. I was already using quality tackle line ect so the next thing looked at was my knots all I used was the basic uni knot to all terminal and a double unit for leader knots.

After testing every knot I could find I've come come up with my favourites from leader to hook.

Leader knot:

FG knot for anything from 15lb braid and up. Best casting knot I've used and super strong.

Improved albright if I need a new leader in a hurry.

Double uni for light line.

Terminal tackle knots:

Nail knot for heavy mono to swivel

uni knot for lighter or when in a rush

Snell knot for all hooks, if you run the line thought the eye with the lower tag end coming out the back of the eye of the hook it will always roll the hook into the corner of the fishes mouth.

I'm interested in what everyone else uses. I've seen way to many good fish lost to poorly tied knots. When you hook that fish of a life time you want to be confident in you knots as well as you gear.

Good luck. Tight lines. Ollie.

Light gear - centauri for terminals, kaneit for leader/ mainline connection and leftys loop for lures. In the heavier stuff if not crimping I use a nail knot and its a bimini twist for me to form a double and then either a cats paw or slim beauty for joining lines. Double hook rigs I use a snood which is a 100% strength knot if tied the same way as in the following video, love the snood its probably my favourite knot haha

Cheers

Edited by Wriggler1

Yer wriggler that snood is what I use it is also called a Snell I tie all my hooks using it not just for twin hook rigs. I've found I don't miss as many fish as I did with regular knots.

I'm currently recovering from a knee reconstruction so one thing I've used to kill time is learning and practicing knots. But I'm always interested in what other people use and I'm always happy to help people out with what knots to use when and how to tie them properly.

• 2 weeks later...

If I have time to rig up before I get on the water I'll use the.PR knot for my leader knot then the ag chain knot to my solid ring

When on the water and in a rush I'll just use the midknot for my leader knot and then a uni knot for my terminal tackle

For my light stuff a slim beauty and a uni knot does the job

• 1 month later...

I use the fg knot for mainline to leader and uni to jig head. I find the fg really strong and if i get snagged its always the uni that breaks and i rarely have to retie leaders but if i do out on the water i use uni to uni because its too hard for the fg in any wind haha

For heavy gear.

Mid knot for braid to leader.

Uni knot for swivels.

Lefty's Loop to lures.

Snell to hook but with the leader not passed through the eye & tied to the shank only.

The only problem is even when fishing 50 lb braid & 60 lb leader it is very hard to

bust off when you're snagged!

Lighter gear is a totally different story.

Cheers,

Grant.