Fishing Broken Bay ( Sydney )

Rinse

We headed out early to fish the wreck approx 12km off Box Head.Once we arrived there we found it was very quiet with exception to the slimy mackerel.There hoards of them and the usual story they love the shiny hooks. So obviously getting bait was no problem . We then went to fish the closer inshore reefs ,but we only managed to catch 4 pan sized snapper before giving it away, I an sure we will do better later in the week when the tides are better. So thats it. Rinse

Slimies are a gun bait mate. They're also a great bottom bashing bait when cut up. I agree with sydangler about chucking one out around the school. Would have been a few kings or tuna around for sure!

Slimies are a gun bait mate. They're also a great bottom bashing bait when cut up. I agree with sydangler about chucking one out around the school. Would have been a few kings or tuna around for sure!

G'day mate I'm looking at targeting some reds inshore soon what do you find is best in regards to tides? I've got a 4 metre tinnie that can get out past box/joey on the good days and I've recently stocked up with all the safety gear so hoping to get out there as soon as the swell drops. If you wouldn't mind sharing some tips it would be much appreciated I'm fine with pm or whatever suits :)

Cheers,

Adam

Sounds like a good day out. Did you try having a live slimie out around the schools of them something would have come looking for them

I did put out live slimie ,did not have any hits with exception to a cuttle fish .I believe the king fish have gone to deeper water . But still you never know whats lurking around. Regards Rinse

G'day mate I'm looking at targeting some reds inshore soon what do you find is best in regards to tides? I've got a 4 metre tinnie that can get out past box/joey on the good days and I've recently stocked up with all the safety gear so hoping to get out there as soon as the swell drops. If you wouldn't mind sharing some tips it would be much appreciated I'm fine with pm or whatever suits :)

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam I have found the best time is to fish is at the top of the tide in the morning or early after noon . Burley is a must and with winter the water is a lot clearer thus you must fish light , and use little weight as possible ,so your bait is drifting down your berly trail and keep your bait moving . It is a bit unnatural to anchor your bait with your rod in its holder . T^he rig i use is a pea sinker sliding down onto the hook or if you prefer,use a bream rig.You are welcome to come with me some time . Regards Rinse

Which wreck is 12km out? I normally go to west reef. And then there is the closer wreck near barrenjoey head. But thats all that i know.

Apart from the valiant there is the Birchgrove and the Hailcaine. I do not know the name of the wreck further out . It has been recognised as a wreck in the past 5 yrs or so. but before that every one thought it was a lump of rock stuck out in the middle of the bay .