Port Kembla

MannY

I said rain or no rain Im going fishing yesterday early morning. We packed up and head down south Port Kembla way.

Weather was beautiful, no wind, no rain, swell good as well.. but about 5mins later the wind picked up and so did the rain!

It was very quiet as others struggled to land many fish. As first light turned my rod bent at the sound of a nice tailor.

After the tailor it got very quiet with a few undersized bream realised.

I was fishing and chatting to another guy on how quiet fishing is today. He said it's very quiet indeed…and started to pack his things, he said you are most likely not gonna catch a salmon until sunset.

I pull my rod back checking for hope and bang!! My reel screams! As so as it screams our lines cross … grrrr.. and Im left with not much of a choice but try to untangle it or risk the fish.

Eventually we got the line free. I started to pull the fish and notice that it is under the rocks!! I move left, right to loose the line. My brain has a flash back and I recall someone saying to give the line some slack.

I released some line out and in about 5mins the fish came out. Now Im in business' I said and I pull in a Salmon just touching 60cms.. what a good fight and a fishing lesson learnt :)

A question I have is, does anyone know to safely release fish from the rocks without endangering your own life?

post-9118-050938600 1339934029_thumb.jpg

post-9118-012044900 1339934037_thumb.jpg

Edited by MannY

I said rain or no rain I’m going fishing yesterday early morning. We packed up and head down south Port Kembla way.

Weather was beautiful, no wind, no rain, swell good as well.. but about 5mins later the wind picked up and so did the rain!

It was very quiet as others struggled to land many fish. As first light turned my rod bent at the sound of a nice tailor.

After the tailor it got very quiet with a few undersized bream realised.

I was fishing and chatting to another guy on how quiet fishing is today. He said it's very quiet indeed…and started to pack his things, he said you are most likely not gonna catch a salmon until sunset.

I pull my rod back checking for hope and bang!! My reel screams! As so as it screams our lines cross … grrrr.. and I’m left with not much of a choice but try to untangle it or risk the fish.

Eventually we got the line free. I started to pull the fish and notice that it is under the rocks!! I move left, right to loose the line. My brain has a flash back and I recall someone saying to give the line some slack.

I released some line out and in about 5mins the fish came out. ‘Now I’m in business' I said and I pull in a Salmon just touching 60cms.. what a good fight and a fishing lesson learnt :)

A question I have is, does anyone know to safely release fish from the rocks without endangering your own life?

I find port kembla quite dangerous regardless of tide or time.

The rocks a re slippery and the water rises very quickly with the swell.

My rule is I will not go down to the water if it has been raining or if it is comin gon to high tide.

So far this has kept me dry.

Its part of the problem with that spot.

In order to get the fish you have to get down on the slippery rocks.

I find port kembla quite dangerous regardless of tide or time.

The rocks a re slippery and the water rises very quickly with the swell.

My rule is I will not go down to the water if it has been raining or if it is comin gon to high tide.

So far this has kept me dry.

Its part of the problem with that spot.

In order to get the fish you have to get down on the slippery rocks.

You mean off the seawall?

I know what you mean... I don't fish those sections, there's parts where it drops off very straight down.

I haul it up from a 4metre drop on 20lb mono lol. If its a salmon, the line will almost snap.

Definitely safer than climbing down the rocks.