Hungry Hairtail

sadamson

Last night i headed to WB with my mate Adam (suffo) who was keen to catch his first Hairtail.His 11 year old son Joel wanted to come and his mum finally gave in and gave him a day pass not happy as it was a school night.(Dont worry we wont be out late) Famous last words.Maybe Adams! On the water at 4.30 at Apple Tree bay ,Quick run around to WB Picked up a public mooring and set up.Just on dark i hooked and landed a good fish then all went quite for the next couple of hours.Then Joel picked up a 55 cm Salmon which was released.You could hear other boats dealing with a couple hairtail cheers and the thud of a club on the head of a hairtail with snapping jaws.Then all 4 of of rod started getting bites and runs but we could not hook them.We were using full pilchards so we changed to only a fillet,when the fish came back we started hooking up at one point we had a triple hook up and landed all of them.The fish were doing laps of the bay as you could hear other boats, then they would appear on the sounder we found all the fish in 3-5 meters of water we were sitting in 18 meters.We ended up with 7 Hairtail longest be 1.45 meters.Off the water at 11.00pm back at Adams at 12.00 Joel in bed 12.15. Very excited young man and plenty to brag about at school today he landed 2 hairtail plus a salmon.

post-6862-059969500 1340151891_thumb.jpg

post-6862-026000800 1340151904_thumb.jpg

post-6862-090907600 1340151917_thumb.jpg

post-6862-074804100 1340151935_thumb.jpg

post-6862-063198100 1340151946_thumb.jpg

Hope to do it again soon.

Cheers Stephen (Reggie the Rabbit)

Great session there.

Are there gates getting to Apple Tree Bay boat ramp? And when do they get locked?

I dont want to get locked in after a night session tonight.

Keen to hear the answer to this too!

Keen to hear the answer to this too!

We drove in at 4.30 paid our money at the ramp car park $11.00 machine drove out just after 11.00pm did not notice any thing about locking gates cheers Stephen

We drove in at 4.30 paid our money at the ramp car park $11.00 machine drove out just after 11.00pm did not notice any thing about locking gates cheers Stephen

thanks for that mate. Hopefully i won't get any nasty surprises!

The hairtail reports have been sensational over the last 2 weeks or so......great reading and images, your efforts are appreciated. We tried Sunday with no success. Have any of you guys checked their guts to see what they've been feeding on (other than your pillies and gang hooks). Be interesting to know what keeps them up in that WB area.

The hairtail reports have been sensational over the last 2 weeks or so......great reading and images, your efforts are appreciated. We tried Sunday with no success. Have any of you guys checked their guts to see what they've been feeding on (other than your pillies and gang hooks). Be interesting to know what keeps them up in that WB area.

when cleaning 1 had a small squid and another had a new hook and line he must have been hungry.