Quick Sambo Session Palm Beach

josamill

With my six year old on board, I only had 45 mins but figured why not......I live Avalon. More swell than I thought, and not the world's best gutter. Nothing for 30 mins, then finally I see my line go slack, and a silver beastie go airborne 50 metres of the beach. Gang hooked pillie and surf popper rigged, and, as per my last couple of trips, it was the blue surf popper that did the trick. Nice salmon, released and my day was done. Some satisfaction after a zero hairtail result Sunday night Waratah Bay. Nice time of year when the weather is like this!

Nice work on the sambo. Just a quick question, do you rig the surf popper on the top of a paternoster rig with the pilchard on the lower one? Its good to see they actually work as i have only used one once before and had no luck.

Yes......that's exactly what I do. Saw the guy from a TV Show rig it that way and gave it a go.

Like this......

A star sinker at the bottom,

50cm above the sinker, a 3 way swivel with gang hooks on a 30cm leader.

50cm above that, another 3 way swivel with a surf popper on a 30cm leader.

20cm above that, uni knot to braid.

I am using 10lb braid, with a mono backing, and 20lb fluro leaders.

It is a long rig.....about 4 feet in all, but I don't seem to have a problem casting it a fair distance.

The poppers are deadly, so much so I'm tempted to forget the gang hooks and rig 2 or 3 poppers. They have been more successful for me than pillies on both salmon and tailor.

A good gutter is obviously key......good luck!

If I were you I'd keep the bait in the rig, I think it still acts as an attractant, both visually and as berley.

It's like when you see them hitting up a bait ball, live bait fish everywhere, yet you can throw all sorts of baits and lures at them and they go for the smallest metal or a fly!

The blood and guts gets them fired up but they will still be choosy!

Nice one!

Blue or red......dunno.

I caught my first one on blue and have stayed with it.

Now the swell has dropped we will get the boat to the back of the breakers at palm beach on sunday and chuck some sps and metal at them. Fingers crossed.

Blue or red......dunno.

I caught my first one on blue and have stayed with it.

Now the swell has dropped we will get the boat to the back of the breakers at palm beach on sunday and chuck some sps and metal at them. Fingers crossed.

Awesome gl mate :thumbup:

Your report inspired me to buy my first blue and red popper today :thumbup:

Will be testing it out tomorrow. I rigged it up with no swivels, don't know if thats correct or not for beach fishing?

Main line is tied onto FC via double uni pulled together, tied on the popper, and created 2 loops for the star sinker and gangs. Never been beach fishing before, so will attempt to spot gutters for the first time :biggrin2: