Hairtail- Wire or Flurocarbon?

rjc123

Hey raiders,

Working on a few hairtail rigs for next weekend. Can't decide whether to go for 40lb flurocarbon or 20lb single strand wire. My only concern with the wire is that it will result in less bites while my concern with the flurocarbon is that they'll chew through it! Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

Cheers, Tom

Use flurocarbon but run a small piece of electrical tube over the line at the hook. It is pretty tough

and can withstand the chomp of the fish.

Will a few wraps of electrical tape do?

Use both. You can even have another line out with that knottable wire stuff, that's good too. Good luck, when are planning on going out to WB?

Most likely next saturday night but the tides don't look ideal... maybe delay it until the tides better and have a crack at some reddies and trevally instead :biggrin2: What do you think?

I buy the premise ones

Gang hooks wire and a ring

The ring makes it a lot easier to handle them

Just grab the ring and swing into the boat

unfortunately i just bought some 27lb single strand and a few crimps. Not sure how to go about making a rig though.. where do you get your pre made rigs.

unfortunately i just bought some 27lb single strand and a few crimps. Not sure how to go about making a rig though.. where do you get your pre made rigs.

Try E-bay, Look up Daiwa fishing, lots of pre made rigs there.

The ones from WA are wonderful

Chris

Try E-bay, Look up Daiwa fishing, lots of pre made rigs there.

The ones from WA are wonderful

Chris

Cheers mate! Might order a few. Thinking of mixing it up and having 2 rods with 40lb flurocarbon and 2 with 27lb wire. Don't own any crimping pliers so making up the rigs myself will be difficult..

Most likely next saturday night but the tides don't look ideal... maybe delay it until the tides better and have a crack at some reddies and trevally instead :biggrin2: What do you think?

Don't worry about the tides, the hairtail are always there.

Cheers mate! Might order a few. Thinking of mixing it up and having 2 rods with 40lb flurocarbon and 2 with 27lb wire. Don't own any crimping pliers so making up the rigs myself will be difficult..

Don't need crimping pliers, any ol pliers will do the job. All you need is gangs, wire, crimps and a swivel and your set, it's so easy champ.

Don't need crimping pliers, any ol pliers will do the job. All you need is gangs, wire, crimps and a swivel and your set, it's so easy champ.

Cheers mate, i'll try and make some up this week!