Motor for Quintrex Escape 510

devon007

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, i must add i love your site.

Got a question. I bought a crappy old Nautiglass V150 1/2 cabin which has holes along the gunell rails (realised after i upgraded the motor to a 4st 60hp honda) so now i am looking to upgrade the boat ;-) without the wifes permission (i'm working on it)

I am looking at the Quintrex Escape 510 but im not sure if the 60hp will be enough muscle. Specs say it only weighs 460kgs and my fibreglass V150 surely must weigh more than that. Quintrex specs say 60hp recomended but after reading a few blogs and reviews people are saying that it might be under powered. I'm not after a racing boat, does this matter. I generally dont have a large crew, just 2 usually.

what are your ideas, should i drop down to the 490 Escape or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Guppy Slayer

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, i must add i love your site.

Got a question. I bought a crappy old Nautiglass V150 1/2 cabin which has holes along the gunell rails (realised after i upgraded the motor to a 4st 60hp honda) so now i am looking to upgrade the boat ;-) without the wifes permission (i'm working on it)

I am looking at the Quintrex Escape 510 but im not sure if the 60hp will be enough muscle. Specs say it only weighs 460kgs and my fibreglass V150 surely must weigh more than that. Quintrex specs say 60hp recomended but after reading a few blogs and reviews people are saying that it might be under powered. I'm not after a racing boat, does this matter. I generally dont have a large crew, just 2 usually.

what are your ideas, should i drop down to the 490 Escape or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Guppy Slayer

Hi, a 60HP would not be a great performer on such a boat so if you have you heart set on a Quintrex I would get the smaller one. Personaly, and why I choose to stock and sell them, the Stacer range is superior due to the hull shape, the EVO hull is at the stern and that always affects the way a boat rides and offer a softer ride, better lift and stabiltiy.All this plus with the low profile sports deck, thicker materials, gunwale bump rubber, more cockpit room due to the new transom, standard Bimini and more the Baymaster is what I would buy.We have a 489 Baymaster due next week so come by and have a look and a Stacer will be better value too, which is always important.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have a 490 Quintrex top ender - the 2007 model. This is the same hull as the current 510. I am running a Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke and it is more than adequate even with 4 on board. However, if I was buying a new boat today I would put a Yammie 70 hp on it - unless the additional cost is too much.

But, if I was in the market for a boat today I would look around for an almost new second hand boat with about 100 hours on the motor. There seem to be a lot of people who buy a boat, use it for a couple of years and then park it in the garage or back yard.

The Stacer vs Quintrex issue is not that simple. They are made by the same company but to different standards. The Stacers are cheaper but have less bells and whistles such as hatches, linings, drink holders, live bait tanks - some of which are useful, some not so useful (eg drink holders). The end result is that the Stacers are lighter than the equivalent Quinnie. My brother bought a Stacer about 2 years after I bought my Quintrex. He has already had to replace the brake cable (rusted out) and some other bits and pieces. And a few of his plywood floor panels have rotted. The only problem I have had with my Quintex is 2 broken welds in the bottom of the holes that the seats fit into. Repaired under warranty - although another has just broken and the warranty has expired. But I have found a simple solution - a piece of 2 inch polypipe slipped over the seat pedestal.

Hi,

I owned Stacer 525 sea runner (cuddy cab) with 90 HP 2 stroke Johnson. I think with the length 5.1 meter, 60 HP is not good enough or marginal. My Johnno can go for 37 knots at top speed and very powerful but very noisy and suck a lot of fuel and oil. I recon u get a smaller size of boat so u don't need a big engine especially when the fuel price surge after carbon tax.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?alpz3w

A lot of people think that more power is a safety factor in case of bad weather, but it's usually not possible to go fast in bad weather. My 490 (510 in todays range) does 50 kph (27 knots) flat out in absolutely calm weather eg on a river or lake. If you want to go faster than this, or this fast in less than perfect conditions, put a bigger motor on. But be aware that at speed even my 60 hp unit chews juice. In normal conditions eg cruising at up to 40 kph + trolling, moving around etc, I use about 15 -20 litres per day - I probably travel 35 - 50 km all up.

So it's all a balancing act - cost of the motor, cost of fuel vs the ability to go fast on occasions eg if you want to go out to the shelf. But in a 510 you'll only have a couple of days a year when the conditions let you go that far at speed.

I would go with the 510 Quinnie, the 509 Stacer or an equivalent other brand with a 70 hp Yamaha 4 stroke (2 stroke oil is expensive). But check the actual specifications - length, weight, width etc - don't go on the 490/510 figure. As I said, Quintrex rebadged what was the 490 as their new 510 and ditto for the rest of their range.

Just reread your post - and I see you already have the 60 hp motor. Perhaps go with the Stacer if it is in fact lighter (althogh the Escape looks to be a lot lighter than my topender - it is - 450 kg vs 520 kg) and accept that you may have a few minor maintenance issues if they are still using the same brake cable and floor panels. Other than those things my bro has had no issues with his Stacer. But make sure you get them to put a good sounder/gps in it. You could also find out about the unpainted models from Quintrex and other manufacturers - paint seems like an unnecessary feature - it just gets scratched, chipped, and it develops corrosion bubbles under it.

Edited by Benzeenees

I have a 490 Quintrex top ender - the 2007 model. This is the same hull as the current 510. I am running a Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke and it is more than adequate even with 4 on board. However, if I was buying a new boat today I would put a Yammie 70 hp on it - unless the additional cost is too much.

But, if I was in the market for a boat today I would look around for an almost new second hand boat with about 100 hours on the motor. There seem to be a lot of people who buy a boat, use it for a couple of years and then park it in the garage or back yard.

The Stacer vs Quintrex issue is not that simple. They are made by the same company but to differenstandards. The Stacers are cheaper but have less bells and whistles such as hatches, linings, drink holders, live bait tanks - some of which are useful, some not so useful (eg drink holders). The end result is that the Stacers are lighter than the equivalent Quinnie. My brother bought a Stacer about 2 years after I bought my Quintrex. He has already had to replace the brake cable (rusted out) and some other bits and pieces. And a few of his plywood floor panels have rotted. The only problem I have had with my Quintex is 2 broken welds in the bottom of the holes that the seats fit into. Repaired under warranty - although another has just broken and the warranty has expired. But I have found a simple solution - a piece of 2 inch polypipe slipped over the seat pedestal.

U

Hi, that's just plain wrong, Telwater make both brands and use exactly the same fitting like drink holders, hinges and flooring and as I said it is the exact opposite, the Stacer comes STD with more features like Bimini, 2.5mm sides, gunwale rubber, better rolled side decks and more so the Stacer comes with bells and whistles and usually cost less for s superior boat with more cockpit room, better ride, the EVO hull is based on proven marine design with deep vee and reverse chines for good ride and stability, and is why glass boats and a lot of other alloy brands use such a hull shape.

If someone likes a Q, than that is great but what you claim is totally false and the same guys build the boats using the same materials to the same standards.

Cheers,

Huey.

post-391-040409400 1341182833_thumb.jpg. I have added this photo of the the 2012/2013 model 489 Baymaster that shows the LPSD (Low profile sports deck), the STD bminin, the increased cockpit room with the best transom in the business with easy acess either side of the outboard, the nice rolled side decks, the gunwhale rubber, the EVO ADVANCE hull with unmatched ride and stability, plus the all round build quality that in my opinion and trust me I have seen them all close up, make Stacer the best made production alloy boats and why I choose to stock and sell them-if I thought there was a better brand of boat I would ring them up and could be selling them tomorrow.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

The brake cable is on the trailer. I'm not pushing one brand or another - just outlining the limited direct experience I have had with 2 boats.

Maybe they had a bad batch of cable and floor panels the year my brother's boat was built :wacko:

Edited by Benzeenees

The brake cable is on the trailer. I'm not pushing one brand or another - just outlining the limited direct experience I have had with 2 boats.

Maybe they had a bad batch of cable and floor panels the year my brother's boat was built :wacko:

Hi, your claims about the boats being built to different standard is what I claimed was wrong and is wrong. As for a brake cable, yes I think I know where a brake cable is, and the Stacer and Quintrex trailer are the same as are the floors so yes a Q of the same serial grouping could have a rotten floor and rusted brake cable if someone dunks the trailer. I have had direct experiences with ALOT more than 2 Telwater built boats and we see no more or less issues with these boats than other brands that come thru here and the last warranty claim I needed to do on a Stacer was a long time ago.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, your claims about the boats being built to different standard is what I claimed was wrong and is wrong. As for a brake cable, yes I think I know where a brake cable is, and the Stacer and Quintrex trailer are the same as are the floors so yes a Q of the same serial grouping could have a rotten floor and rusted brake cable if someone dunks the trailer. I have had direct experiences with ALOT more than 2 Telwater built boats and we see no more or less issues with these boats than other brands that come thru here and the last warranty claim I needed to do on a Stacer was a long time ago.

Cheers,

Huey.

Concerning the brake cable - I was replying to macmac.

Anglapro are also a very well made boat

Telwater are far from the best in terms of weld and paint quality

But they sure can take over company's and churn out volume

Hi, that is one persons opinion but I see boats 6 days a week and I do not have a problem with them when compared to pretty much every brand of alloy boat that comes thru here for service or sale.

I am not sure what you mean by "take over company's"-they bought Savage because Mercury needed and wanted to get out of building boats and same goes for Allycraft, if that is what the other company you refer to. Allycraft approached Telwater and had been doing so so for many years about buying that brand and the gentleman who owns Telwater, that I know well, made them an offer he thought was fair and the owners of Allycraft accepted it-fact.

I think it is the classic tall poppy syndrome and if you like another brand of boat that is great and enjoy it but to make such a broad statement like you did is off the mark and how many Telwater built boats have you owned or seen up real close? Yes they build alot of boats and why you "hear" more stories about them especially from people with an axe to grind on the internet. We have been selling boats for over 45 years in the same family so I would think our opinion and experience is more based on fact that hearsay and as I said before if I thought there was a better alloy boats made here in Australia I would be selling these instead of Stacer.

I wish him well if he buys a Q or the brand you refer to but it would not surprise me that any of the dealers of the brand you mentioned (who do not have the history of a company like ours), would not even stock a 17 or 18 foot runabout so that to me shows their faith in the product. Why not have a look around Australia and all the dealers, that have been in business for any period of time, are dealers for Telwater boats-that to me says something because if the oldest and best choose to stock Telwater boats, then the boats can not be all that bad, because if they were as bad as you claim these experienced boat dealers must be stupid, us included-but I doubt that.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

My mates quinnie spirit has a scary amount of cracked welds, even scarier cracks NEXT to welds, and had a huge errosion problem under the paintdue to not being etched under the paint, or painted along cuts. As a tradesman myself, wow!

Not bad for 21 months of moderate use. Before that he had a quinine for 20 years without an issue...speaks for itself

Telwater boats should come with a welder and a life raft...

Cheers Leo