JEW/ KING ROD.

ashisnothereman

Hi all, I am keen to begin targeting some larger fish species and have been looking for an economical first combo. I have come across a Penn Spinfisher 950SSM 300yr/30lb and a Shimano Aerowave FGlass - Med-Hvy Surf WB ; 3.78m ; 2pc ; 6-10kg ; 2-5oz.

The reel has max drag at 15lb and rod has max line cap at around 22lb. so i should be able to reel up some 20lb or 30lb braid and go for some mulloway and then kings in the summer. the combo is just under $200.

sound like im on the right track??

Cheers all.

Should be okay mate. I personally don't like the penn reels myself but they are definitely a tough little reel! Should handle jews and kings but then again, people regularly get bricked on 80lb braid.... On the other hand people land legal kings and big jews on light bream gear! One thing i would say is shop around. You might find something a little better for a reasonable price. I would certainly recommend dropping into your local tackle store and getting them to suggest a few options!

cheers mate. yea the penn reel is on sale for a reasonable price including some free braid! but ill definitely keep on looking around. i guess the main issue im having is matching a reel to the rod but i think im getting the idea.

Edited by ashisnothereman

the spinfisher and 30-50lb braid is good value for money, get a heavier rod though i reckon. Silstar powertips are probably your best bet for a reasonable priced boat rod in the 10-15kg area. That would be my pick for your budget and target species.

cheers mate, had a look and seems like an awesome rod. a mate told me to steer clear of graphite until i get more experienced, as any wrong moves will shatter the rod. silstar powertips are fglass/graphite composite, would this be okay?

They certainly are o.k.

I still have a 7144 that is nearly 20 years old & I have beaten the crap out of it.

It's still in one piece with it's original guides.

For anyone that knows how tough I am on fishing rods that is a HUGE rap. :biggrin2:

I find it a bit heavy now days for what I do but it is a good all rounder for when I am teaching someone how to fish the sand & stones.

It will do a good job for you at the right price & should last you well.

Cheers,

Grant.

They certainly are o.k.

I still have a 7144 that is nearly 20 years old & I have beaten the crap out of it.

It's still in one piece with it's original guides.

For anyone that knows how tough I am on fishing rods that is a HUGE rap. :biggrin2:

I find it a bit heavy now days for what I do but it is a good all rounder for when I am teaching someone how to fish the sand & stones.

It will do a good job for you at the right price & should last you well.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks heaps!!! really liking this silstar. cant wait to get it and hit the water!