middle harbour right now

sydangler

Had a late start this morning (dropped the misses at work for browny points). Had a big frozen squid for bait so sent out the head and a strip and started working the weed beds with a squid jig straight out of the packet. 3cast and I'm on to a nice sized squid straight in the bucket and cast back out nothing then next cast ping there goes my jig f@#%. Quickly cut up the one squid and get some fresh baits in the water and rerig another jig. No more squid.

Then my rod tip with the strip gets a real good wack and another I quickly pick up the rod and open the bail for a few more bumps then nothing 20 seconds later bang I'm on bit of weight and some good head shakes and a smile came across my face maybe could it be.... Then my heart sunk as it shot up towards the surface bloody salmon again.

New strip of squid and out it goes. Another 20 minutes and the wind has changed making the chances of another squid drop but I keep trying. I walk past my rod and don't get more then 5 steps and I heard my 4000 stradic start screaming yes a better fish. Tighten the drag and start working him but it slows down pretty quickly and a massive salmon comes in.

Since then te last half hour has been very slow but a bream boat that started fishing on top of my baits said there was plenty of bait showing up and a few big fish. Lets hope they are hungery.

Good session mate. Can't argue with a few good salmon. Not sure where your fishing but have a go at sugarloaf point, late arvo tide change. Good for big bream, jews and kings. Pickering point is the next best option too! Good luck!

Sounds like a good little session!

See the value of some brownie points!?!

I know what you mean about the head shakes, I always get my hopes up too!

Roughly whereabouts? Near the Spit or further up in the system?

Agree with MackAttack about Sugerloaf...

Onya!

Yer was up near the spit.

How would you go about fishing sugarloaf landbased as I don't own a boat?

I'm maybe thinking of the south side of Yeoland Pt, the entry into Sugerloaf Bay (get to it by foot at the end of Cammeray Rd I think from memory).

Also Middle Cove via North Arm Rd. It'been a couple of years since I went up there by land.

In the last 12 months I've had good sessions from Bantry Bay, Sugerloaf, thru to Quakers Hat Bay in the tinnie.

Usually something firing somewhere.

A good fishy stretch of water.

Yer was up near the spit.

How would you go about fishing sugarloaf landbased as I don't own a boat?

I'm pretty sure there's a path from the end of sugraloaf crescent called something like "cheney walk". This should take you down to the water. Agree with motohead, yeoland is good also, especially for a bag of bream!

Castle Cove.... Get to the end of Willis Road and walk down to the old stone jetty. Almost exactly east, about 30 metres out is a depression and shelf. Great little bream spot. It's a bit difficult to cast to from shore as unweighted baits work best but not impossible if the wind or tide are in your favour.

(I used to have a boat moored there in Little Sugarloaf)

That's right, the the stone steps from the old dance hall jetty (from over a hundred years ago, so no jetty structure is left).

From there you can walk along the bank to a couple of spots on the point.

That's it... Innisfallen Castle is just above it.... Built by Henry Willis in the early 1900s. I think a lot of the sandstone for the castle was cut out of the cliff face behind where the jetty stonework is.

There is quite a bit of structure not far off the shore there. I dived the area after cleaning my hull one day and there was plenty of bream and trevally hanging about the area.

That's it... Innisfallen Castle is just above it.... Built by Henry Willis in the early 1900s. I think a lot of the sandstone for the castle was cut out of the cliff face behind where the jetty stonework is.

There is quite a bit of structure not far off the shore there. I dived the area after cleaning my hull one day and there was plenty of bream and trevally hanging about the area.

Yeh, I remember the first time I tried the spot..

I lost a couple of shiny new blades on that "structure" before I wised up on the snags and changed to a light SP rig and caught some nice bream!

Plenty of fishy spots along that stretch...

Yeh, I remember the first time I tried the spot..

I lost a couple of shiny new blades on that "structure" before I wised up on the snags and changed to a light SP rig and caught some nice bream!

Plenty of fishy spots along that stretch...

hi, i am a bit confuised, where is the castle? is it here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33.791404,151.223604&hl=en&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=48.625677,78.046875&t=h&z=16

where are the stone steps?

when i went tehre, i walked down the road to here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33.792514,151.226249&hl=en&ll=-33.792523,151.226249&spn=0.011181,0.019054&sll=-33.791542,151.231034&sspn=0.011181,0.019054&t=h&z=16

and walked around to my left to fish of the southern point.

is there a better spot?

is this accessable:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33.791542,151.231034&hl=en&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=48.625677,78.046875&t=h&z=16

looks like a nice fishy point :)

thanks!

(great thread so far!)

This thread has turned into a great spot for anyone looking for a new spot in middle harbour.

Fished the last two days in my usual spot. Yesterday turned up yesterday with with 4 live mullet (one 30cm 3 7-10cm) put the big oneout turned around to rig another rod and my mate turned up and yells quick your rod. My saragosa is screaming and the rod is buckled. But dropped it as I got to the rod. I left it for 5 minutes hoping it would come back but nothing pulled the mullet in scaled and a huge grab mark on it. By the looks of it I could have fit my fist in the fishes mouth. Thats been the only bit of excitement in to sessions.

hi, i am a bit confuised, where is the castle? is it here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33.791404,151.223604&hl=en&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=48.625677,78.046875&t=h&z=16

where are the stone steps?

when i went tehre, i walked down the road to here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33.792514,151.226249&hl=en&ll=-33.792523,151.226249&spn=0.011181,0.019054&sll=-33.791542,151.231034&sspn=0.011181,0.019054&t=h&z=16

and walked around to my left to fish of the southern point.

is there a better spot?

is this accessable:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33.791542,151.231034&hl=en&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=48.625677,78.046875&t=h&z=16

looks like a nice fishy point :)

thanks!

(great thread so far!)

Sorry my computer is freezing on the link!

That looks right though...

Just to add to the confusion, Scotty and I were down the other end of Middle Harbour (Pearl Bay) from 12 til 3ish Tuesday arvo.

Caught the usual small snappers and a couple of nice bream (31-34cm).

Then my little 80mm wriggler got smashed by something underneath one of the moored boats I was casting to..

Nice healthy Sambo on 6 pound gear led me on a tour of the area for a few minutes!! C&R'd in 10mins.

Like I said, Middle Harbour is a good fishy stretch of water from Roseville thru to the Spit.

Usually something firing somewhere!

All good!!