Bate Bay

Yowie

As Port Hacking is a bit quiet, decided to head out to Bate Bay today. Did not get on the water until midday, due to a medical appointment this morning.

Not much wind and swell, so drifted about due south of the Kurnell Lighthouse. 3 legal blue spot flatties, a couple just undersize, and the usual small spiky flatties. The drift was going nicely, only using a 4 ounce sinker, then the north easter sprung up. Not too strong but enough to have to use a sinker over the 8 ounce mark to hold bottom. Pain in the arse and buggered up the drift.

Moved closer to the Merries reef and shallower water with a smaller sinker. Pulled out a few maori wrasse, and a morwong near the 45cm mark, not keen on mowies, so back it went. Kept drifting, and eventually pulled out another flattie, but the bite slowed due to the wind. Best flattie was just over 50cm, also dropped a couple near the surface when the hook pulled out. Enough for a feed.

Yowie.

As Port Hacking is a bit quiet, decided to head out to Bate Bay today. Did not get on the water until midday, due to a medical appointment this morning.

Not much wind and swell, so drifted about due south of the Kurnell Lighthouse. 3 legal blue spot flatties, a couple just undersize, and the usual small spiky flatties. The drift was going nicely, only using a 4 ounce sinker, then the north easter sprung up. Not too strong but enough to have to use a sinker over the 8 ounce mark to hold bottom. Pain in the arse and buggered up the drift.

Moved closer to the Merries reef and shallower water with a smaller sinker. Pulled out a few maori wrasse, and a morwong near the 45cm mark, not keen on mowies, so back it went. Kept drifting, and eventually pulled out another flattie, but the bite slowed due to the wind. Best flattie was just over 50cm, also dropped a couple near the surface when the hook pulled out. Enough for a feed.

Yowie.

Its good you managed to go out today with these nice winter conditions and got a feed. Do you get alot of snags while driting? Im always get snagged as why I prefer to anchor more.

Its good you managed to go out today with these nice winter conditions and got a feed. Do you get alot of snags while driting? Im always get snagged as why I prefer to anchor more.

Most of the bottom is clean and snag free. There are a few patches of reef and kelp beds about, just don't fish in them unless you use a sinker on the bottom and the hook several feet above that.

Great work on the flatties and wrasse.I find the wrasse make for a great feed :thumbup:

I don,t like the morwong either :thumbdown: i would eat wrasse any day over the mowie.

Chris.

Kept the 2 biggest wrasse as their air bladders popped on the way up, still not all that big. If the air bladders pop, the fish have trouble swimming back to the bottom.

Cut off the fillets and skinned them, really white flesh, so will see how they cook up.

The only surface action I saw was 1 penguin near the boat.

Dave.

Any squid action in bate bay as I know this time of year bate bay is full of them.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Did not try for any, think others have caught a few.

Always good to come home with a feed.

Any sign of the Jackets, will be trying myself later in the week.

Grandad.

A couple of times the hooks come up clean, so were probably jackets, but generally nothing to worry about. Hooked what felt like a reasonable jacket for a few seconds, but the hook pulled out and the hooks were baited when retrieved.