At least there are big kings in the harbour.

Dazzaraptor

Hi raiders,

Spent the day in the harbour today. The sounder started going nuts at clifton gardens so we anchored and burleyd up. Heaps of small stuff for a while and then BANG. Now im guessing it was a king. Not much else feels like that. Played it for a few mins, got back a bit of line and then had a leader failure! Grrr. 1 min later, on again, this time got it to the side of the boat but then spat the hook! Estimating a metre. Altho i know if you dont weight, dont Say it, so lets just say it was big and wouldv been my record. After that they went cold so we headed about a k outside to see what was doing out there. Dropped my last livey down and it diddnt get to the bottom and he got hit. Pulled up a 70cm waist of a livey sergent baker.

pulled up a few small things for an hour or so, then my 4 kg gar got really heavy. Not a huge fight but HEAVY for light line. It took me 20 mins or so to get a glimpse of a great port Jackson shark, 115cm. got a few pics and then sent him back home. 5 mins later we were on again and another port jackson came up.

That was it for today, nothing for dinner, however a great day out on the water.

Happy Fishing.

Edited by ChasinKings

Yeah, was protecting the ol fella with the cotm item even tho im not eligible yet as a fresh member. Just showing my enthusiasm of my new fav website.

I think I remember hearing something about port jacksons being on the release only list, altho i have been wrong before. I really enjoy eating what i catch but i dont think i could bring myself to kill one of them. And i dont feel that way about many fish, iv bled out salmon with my bare hands, there is just something about the jackson.

Just looked up the Port Jackson to see if they are protected. They are on the critically endangered list according to http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/species/sharks/index.html. I won't go into the blurb here. Just go to the website. Best bet is to release them.

Years ago I caught one in Jervis Bay at the Navy Base wharf, and cooked it up for dinner, being young and ignorant at the time. From memory, it wasn't too bad, but definitely no flathead.

Cheers,

Nursie

Hey mate,

The link does not work on my phone but I am almost certain they are not even close to being a threatened species, I really doubt they are critically endangered otherwise you would hear a lot more about them especially from fisheries. I could be wrong though.

Matt

The Federal Gov't website lists the following sharks as endangered or otherwise:

Critically endangered species

Endangered species

Vulnerable

This information is at this link: http://www.environme...species/sharks/

The NSW Department of Primary Industries does not specifically list the Port Jackson Shark in its bag and size limit table - http://www.dpi.nsw.g...sw-bag-and-size . It's also not listed in their list of endangered species.

This means that a maximum daily bag limit of 20 applies. Not that I could imagine anyone keeping even one!

Edited by Canary05

Sorry to go off topic, but I just noticed that Canary has a record for a black tipped reef shark. I've been trying to ID this shark that I caught in Sydney Harbour a while ago, but I haven't managed to get a positive ID. Does this look like what you caught?

IMG_13091600x1200.jpg

Sorry to go off topic, but I just noticed that Canary has a record for a black tipped reef shark. I've been trying to ID this shark that I caught in Sydney Harbour a while ago, but I haven't managed to get a positive ID. Does this look like what you caught?

Looks like a bronze whaler to me.

Ben

Its a dusky whaler. Much more common in Sydney then bronze whalers. Very hard to tell the difference especially cos duskies can have a bronze colour to them. I think the main difference is they don't grow as big as bronzies

Taking my two sons, 4 and 6 out for a fish in the Harbour tomorrow. Was going to do a bit of bottom bouncing and then a bit of a trawl with them. Will not have any live bait, just going to take some prawns and squid for the bottom fishing. Would you suggest off Clifton gardens?

Taking my two sons, 4 and 6 out for a fish in the Harbour tomorrow. Was going to do a bit of bottom bouncing and then a bit of a trawl with them. Will not have any live bait, just going to take some prawns and squid for the bottom fishing. Would you suggest off Clifton gardens?

Clifton Gardens is a great spot for the kids, guaranteed catch with the possibility of something big.