Great NSW Coastal Fishing Retreats?

35R

Just asking for general opinions on where people think great NSW coastal retreats are located? I've tried Lake Conjola which is pretty good, thinking about up near Fishermans Paradise etc? Ideally it would be within 3 hour drive from Sydney, with lake or bay nearby, decent boat ramp, some local shops etc, but most of all good fishing! Any suggestions on where to look at? I am sure there are a lot of good value gems out there

cheers :thumbup:

Fisherman's Paradise would be hard to beat price wise. As you probably are aware, there is no shops etc in Fisho's.

Did you have a price range in mind?

I wish I bought in Fisho's about 8 years ago. You could buy a house on the street next to the water for $80k at that stage... Hindsight..

Hawkesnest on the north side of Port Stephens. Its got Salmon, Tailor and Jewfish off the beach. Bonito, Tailor, Kingfish and a host of tunas and mackerels (summer) from the rocks. Monster Snapper, Pearl Perch and reefies offshore (as well as multiple species of Marlin). And finally, some great bream, flathead, whiting and jewfish in the estuaries.

Reasonably priced accommodation and well worth a look!

Cheers, Tom

Durras North. Nice and quiet, good estuary fishing in the lake, great beaches and rocks. Caravan and cottage accommodation a few steps from the water, local store/cafe sells bait and basic tackle.

Fisherman's Paradise would be hard to beat price wise. As you probably are aware, there is no shops etc in Fisho's.

Did you have a price range in mind?

I wish I bought in Fisho's about 8 years ago. You could buy a house on the street next to the water for $80k at that stage... Hindsight..

Really it was that cheap 8 years ago? wow.

I was thinking in the sub $400k market

Really it was that cheap 8 years ago? wow.

I was thinking in the sub $400k market

haha, you can still buy a house for $200K ( granted not much of a house ) upwards. The value is still quiet good compared to surrounding suburbs.

Here is a link to whats currently on the market:

My link

• 4 weeks later...

My little trip away to Shoal Bay showed up some interesting options aroud the Port Stephens area. From my previous trips up there over the last few years it appears that the prices for places have come down atleast $50-60,000. One like the 2 bed unit we stayed in right on Shoal bay was about $260,000.

Now don't get me wrong it's not a house and it's only 2 beds but you can imagine that there is some level of holiday rental income which can help with mortgages etc. I spoke to someone working in real estate up there and it was mentioned that they were seeing an increasing number of mortgagee sales with people unable to afford the holiday houses that had bought before the GFC.

Their words were "it's a buyers market in Port Stephens."

Food for thought.

Their words were "it's a buyers market in Port Stephens."

And all the way up the Coast as well. Have a look at Kempsey, perhaps not the most salubrious town, but very close to SW Rocks and good houses can be bought sub $200k with plenty of good tenants available .

Tuffy

Edited by Tuffy

• 3 weeks later...

There's a burb down south of Wollongong called Windang that is pretty cheap.

http://www.realestateworld.com.au/real-estate/for-sale/residential/windang/page-1.aspx

You can pick up a demountable home in the Oasis Village for under 100k.

Close to Port Kembla/Shellharbour/Wollongong for offshore boat ramps and Windang's boat ramp gives you access to Lake Illawarra.

1.15 hours away from Sydney City, 40 mins to Port Hacking, 50 mins to Botany Bay 1 hour to Jervis Bay, 2 and a bit to Batemans, 40 mins to the southern highlands...you get my drift :D

2 tackle shops, small convenience store, 2 Thai restaurants, 1 Italian restaurant and a Pizzaria, Pub across the street as well as a driving range for those days when the south easterly is blowing.

Got a place just south of Windang in Warrilla, and love waking up in the morning, picking up the rods and strolling across to the lake to catch my breakfast whiting.

Trung