Boat Fishing Setup

Rodb73

Hi Raiders,

I've been on this site for a little while now and have to say, I'm addicted to it as much as I am my fishing...!!!

Just bought a little boat, to get myself away from the land based fishing. I pick it up next weekend. It's a Nautiglass 15ft with a 85 Suzuki on it.

My question to all is this, I want to take the boat out as far as I can (without getting into trouble of course), with the intention of trying get onto decent fish. Can anyone please offer some advice on decent rod combos and preferred tackle for deeper water fishing?

Thanks in advance for any input

Rodb

Depends how much you have to spend. Some ideas could be:

1. Trynos 12, 80lb braid, Tcurve rod Roughly $600

2. Shimano Bait Runner 6000, 50lb braid, Ulgy Stock 8-15kg about $300-$400

These can get you kings, tuna etc.

What I would put more money into is the reel (Drag) and line. The rods can be substituted with a cheaper rod ($80- - $150)

Cheers

Squidboy

I agree with squidboy about how much you have to spend and would also recommend you check out the maritime website to get the right safety equipment, depending on how far out you go. You'd need a beacon, extra fuel, water just to name a few if you're intending on heading out.

Check out that link should help you.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/safety_equipment.html

Cheers

Su

You can try different line ratings, but I like using 30lb braid I use power pro and 50lb fluorocarbon leader. But in saying that I always have lighter gear to about 4kg set up along with gear up to 80lb because you never know what's gonna be lurking around.

Hope that helps mate.

Cheers

Su

Thanks for the replies, i have been looking at the Shimano Bait Runners. Any particular tackle set-ups i should be considering for kings etc?

Thanks again

Rodb

Most live bait and or Jig for kings. There is a couple of posts in fishing chat in relation to live baiting.

You Tube can also yield a few visual demonstrations that may be of interest.

With live baiting there is also the option to downrig to cover more ground.

Jewwies are another species that would be worth while targeting in Southern Sydney

Guest Aussie007

newbys dont head out as far as they can go... start from the beginning venture out from rivers into bays etc.. than work your way out to the coast line when u feel comfortable dont be cocky and over confident always be cautious u may have a good run out but a deadly run back in keep that in mind