blackie sesh

ashisnothereman

went to chowder bay for a blackie sesh this morning. had a quick squid at spit bridge while collecting weed/bait. managed to get two lil arrows. was hoping for some calamari :( but i got some good bait now i guess.

got to chowder a bit too early, sun was just rising, couldnt really make out my float but as soon as it was day time, around 7 o clock i had my first down. managed to bag 5 keepers and let a 27cm and 25cm fish go. only managed seven fish given the huge schools of 15-20 swimming around. started to get really frustrating as a school would circle my bait and not take it, also noticed fish coming up from the depths for my bait and then bailing from it last second. any ideas? are they seeing hook or leader or something? anyway after long periods of 'teasing' eventually one would drag the float down. last catch was a nice 36cm specimen which would be a PB for me. there were some huge fish in the schools but appeared to be shy and cautious.

left just before 1200. wharf was getting crowded, another fisho was catching huge trevallys, he caught and released about 3.

cheers.

post-22929-041837200 1342329373_thumb.jpg

the long stringy stuff. had some good quality so it easily wrapped and stayed on the hook.

Hey,

just some insight from me, an ex-blackfisherman.

When using the weed, tie it onto the hook in your usual manner,

get a glass and fill it with seawater and dunk your bait in it.

Have a look at how visible your hook is in the bait.

My point is, ffroma fish's perspective, the weed will spread out and will expose the hook if it isn't tied well around the hook shaft.

Also, use the green chemically sharpened hooks to blend in the hook with the bait.

When fishing 'inside' waters, trace line must be as light as 6lb or less and use fluorocarbon.

Float must be light weight and minimal lead below it, yet still have the rig balanced right.

If you can see the fish approaching your bait and rejecting it, well I'm surprised you can see them at all.

Try fishing 0.5m deeper as well as there level of shyness may be less when they have more water over their heads....

Also, give them longer with the bait unless of course they are ripping the float down....

Let me know what you think.

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Tony is spot on.

I could only add the length of trace is critical.

Try increasing trace length till you lose baits without a bite, this rarely happens.

Then when losing baits reduce length till get bites or stop losing baits.

Good luck

Geoff