Targetting trevallys?

annon19

Hi folks,

just wondering if anyone has tips on how I could target trevallys. I suspect a lot of places I goto hold this fish but have rarely caught them. Usually use bottom rigs with prawns/pilchards. Should I be putting a bait under a float? Cheers.

Hi Mate,

I've found Trev's respond really well to a constant burley trail, I usually use a mix of cat food, chicken pellets and whatever fish scraps i have left over from earlier trips. Get that going and if they are around you should get a few. As for bait they'll take pillies and prawns fine, try free weighting them down your trail.

Rich

Hi Mate,

I've found Trev's respond really well to a constant burley trail, I usually use a mix of cat food, chicken pellets and whatever fish scraps i have left over from earlier trips. Get that going and if they are around you should get a few. As for bait they'll take pillies and prawns fine, try free weighting them down your trail.

Rich

Cheers mate much appreicated.

Unweighted bait works for me. Peeled prawn but sometimes they are fussy and only eat bread....so try different things of they aren't biting.

Could I use a float? And if I did, does anyone have any ideas how I'd do this where there is some current, eg McMahons point. Cheers

Unweighted baits all the way. Throw them in amongst your burley and you should have plenty of fun. Good bream and tailor are the by-catch. Prawns, squid tentacles and pilli fillets are best.

Unweighted baits all the way. Throw them in amongst your burley and you should have plenty of fun. Good bream and tailor are the by-catch. Prawns, squid tentacles and pilli fillets are best.

Cheers hope that works

Sorry but get sick of this trevallys, breams, snappers, tunas, marlins thing simply drop the s!. Anyway back to the point. Forget the float for starters. Trevally are predominately a cold water fish so when you catch them you know the water is cold. Can be caught anywhere from mid water to the bottom. Burley hard for them, plenty of mixs around to try. Just bread and sand will do the trick. If you want to get burley down deeper or with current you dont have to buy any special container or bomb type thing just a waste of money, mix burley with semi wet sand just wet enough so you can mould it into a ball. Then gently lower over the side and watch it drop, if it breaks apart as soon as it hits the water you know your mix is too soft. The ball should stay solid till out of sight but will break apart slowly on way down. Doesnt matter what rig you catch them on but always add weight, you will catch more than floating a bait will.

How would you burley for them in strong current? if i burley on surface it gets taken mile away.

Chris

Use chicken pellets they will sink at the right rate just don't use too much or they won't eat your bait/plastic. Be warned heaps of tailor around so use a heavy ish leader 10lb plus.

Another trick is to get a 500 gram can of cat food and put a half dozen holes around the can about 3mm diameter and tie it to some old momo and lower it to the preferred depth (might need to experiment). That'll get a good burly trail down deep.

Nursie

Could I use a float? And if I did, does anyone have any ideas how I'd do this where there is some current, eg McMahons point. Cheers

Mate...put d loaf in a net then tie d net to a rope then just drop it in front of u...the loaf will float n just pull d rope every 15mins or so to keep the burley going...just avoid d net getting snag if u r fishing off rocks...

For bait...use prawns pilchards n bread with a tiny sinker n use small torpedo float or pencil float with 2/3m drop...been catching plenty of trevs bream tailor using this setup...also use no 6/8 long shank...goodluck

If you want to target trevelly from a boat in the estuary what area should you look for (depth, tide faze,time of day, structure etc)??

Do you guys look for any action on the sounder when you first pull up or do you just start burleying and wait and see??

Berley up with pillies and chicken pellets, rig a light running sinker and fish down the burley trail. Put nice bite size pillie cubes on your hook, if they are around they won't be able to resist most times. I've seen heaps in Botany bay about 2 months ago and a few in the bays around Sydney harbour.

good luck

Berley up with pillies and chicken pellets, rig a light running sinker and fish down the burley trail. Put nice bite size pillie cubes on your hook, if they are around they won't be able to resist most times. I've seen heaps in Botany bay about 2 months ago and a few in the bays around Sydney harbour.

good luck

Yes, this the method that I use.

If they go off the bite with the pillies try chicken, or peeled prawn or any other bait that you have.

Also, sometimes they are at the back of the boat, just under the boat, to the side of the boat or 10 metres away. So you may need to cast around a little to find them.