138.50 kg Bluefin tuna

mikeh191

On tuesday the 17th, two mates and I head off from Water st boat ramp at 9.00am heading south east to Browns.

At 11am we arrived at the destination where we put out a spread.

Within half hour of trolling we had a triple hookup!:thumbup:

As i was driving the boat, Dale grabbed the Stella 18000, out of the triple hookup one spat the lure pretty quick,i knocked the boat into neutral and grabbed the Pelagic 50 Wide...Yes the Pelagic 50 wide! :yahoo:

Not sure why but the braid failed and Dale lost his within a minute of the hookup. The pelagic was still screeming its head off and we had to turn the boat around and chase the fish as there was about only 50 metres of line left on the spool...We finally started getting line back on the spool and after 1 hour we could see the Leader and then we realised just how big this fish was! But he was not ready to come in yet, i couldnt turn its head to make any more ground on this fish..We could not reach the leader and the fish took off again and this was the battle for the next four hours till Dale finally managed to grab the leader and pass it to Ian, Dale did an excellent gaff shot with the first Gaff and Ian followed suit straight after.

Then i dropped the reel and grabbed its tail and the 3 of us tried to lift it over the gunnels with no success, second attempt we struggled and just got it over and into the boat..Group Hugs and hi fives all round.

With 15 knot northerly winds we headed off and arrived back at the RMYC at Cronulla within 2 hrs and 50 mins to get the fish weighed in.

It caused quite a lot of commotion down there at the RMYC.

The fish Measured in at 2.06m to the fork and 1.38m girth

The official weight is 138.50kg

The head is in a chest freezer awaiting a taxidermist, i cant wait till its on my wall...A HUGE thanks to Dale and Ian for their great boat handling skills under a great amount of pressure and for the awesome gaff shots.

GREAT TEAM EFFORT

Mike

post-7680-066344300 1342746415_thumb.jpg

post-7680-077097400 1342746464_thumb.jpg

post-7680-057921900 1342748277_thumb.jpg

Edited by FISHBONES

Awesome effort mate,

This is what ch10 should be showing instead of "The Shire" rubbish.

The palegic 50 you mentioned,is that one of those Taiwanese reels?.

Again well done to you and your mates.

Paddy.

Edited by Paddy454

That is insane!

Glad they are still here. Anyone keen to better the 373kg job of 97 now is definitely the time for a go!

Fish of a lifetime Mike, I'd mount the fish too!

Have you got any info or pics of this fish in 97 as it seems rather interesting.

well done mike :1yikes: thats a great effort on the cheaper reel great to see u out on fishbones again after all the hard work was that its maiden trip? hope all is good spewn i didnt get down to see it in the flesh dam work!!!

catch up soon mate!! :beersmile:

Awesome effort mate,

This is what ch10 should be showing instead of "The Shire" rubbish.

The palegic 50 you mentioned,is that one of those Taiwanese reels?.

Again well done to you and your mates.

Paddy.

Hi Paddy,not sure its a taiwanese I bought it on online shop years ago.

I have been told they have shimano guts in them but sure about that!

Cheers Mike

Mate. Well done. That is a cracker of a fish. You must be proud.

What happenned to his tale???

Hi Seazar,when he finally hit the deck he still had some life in him.He kept kicking the bottom of one of the rod holders in the back corner of the boat which shredded his tail,we tried stopping him from damaging himself but he was just to big and strong.

Cheers Mike

On tuesday the 17th, two mates and I head off from Water st boat ramp at 9.00am heading south east to Browns.

As i was driving the boat, Dale grabbed the Stella 18000, out of the triple hookup one spat the lure pretty quick,i knocked the boat into neutral and grabbed the Pelagic 50 Wide...Yes the Pelagic 50 wide! :yahoo:

Not sure why but the braid failed and Dale lost his within a minute of the hookup. The pelagic was still screeming its head off and we had to turn the boat around and chase the fish as there was about only 50 metres of line left on the spool...We finally started getting line back on the spool and after 1 hour we could see the Leader and then we realised just how big this fish was! But he was not ready to come in yet, i couldnt turn its head to make any more ground on this fish..We could not reach the leader and the fish took off again and this was the battle for the next four hours till Dale finally managed to grab the leader and pass it to Ian, Dale did an excellent gaff shot with the first Gaff and Ian followed suit straight after.

Then i dropped the reel and grabbed its tail and the 3 of us tried to lift it over the gunnels with no success, second attempt we struggled and just got it over and into the boat..Group Hugs and hi fives all round.

With 15 knot northerly winds we headed off and arrived back at the RMYC at Cronulla within 2 hrs and 50 mins to get the fish weighed in.

The head is in a chest freezer awaiting a taxidermist, i cant wait till its on my wall...A HUGE thanks to Dale and Ian for their great boat handling skills under a great amount of pressure and for the awesome gaff shots.

GREAT TEAM EFFORT

Mike

Well done guys also i heard mike you are not only good at catching Tuna but your cooking skills are pretty good mate :thumbup: I own a pelargic 50 wide also and had it for years, underestimated reels.

• 1 month later...

GREAT TEAM EFFORT

Mike

That is a mighty fish Mike and well done landing it, you haven't met me but dad is a friend of yours and told me how sore you were all over. Dad brought a steak home and it was my first time trying the sushi way. Hopefully one day i will experience this type of fishing.

Cheers Anthony.