squidding methods

ryan169

Hi guys,

I was at mosman the other day and i saw some squidders and i wanted to take it up.

I just wanted to know any good squidding techniques/spots?

Please reply! Thanks

Haven't gone for squid for a while, but my advise would be to go sloooow, and if you do get one, lift the rod tip a bit so it is skimming across the water. Make sure you hold it under the collar, (tightly) otherwise things could happen!!

After months of trying I've finally had the luck of landing my first few squids with jigs.

Here's what I've learn't

- Let the jig sink depending on the depth of water, I like it to be around a metre from the bottom so I can cover a large portion of the water column - I usually wait maybe 30 seconds with a 2.5 jig in around 10m or less of water.

- Use a flick technique like two flicks, a slow retrieve and let it sink again. - the aim is to imitate that quick erratic flick movement of a prawn

- Smaller jigs work well (if not better in my opinion) than the bigger ones. - Recently I've landed some 30cm size hoods with a small 2.5 jig.

- Bright Pink and White with Orange jigs seem to work best in my (limited) experience.

- When you hook up, keep the rod tip pointed up and don't allow any slack.

- If you need to lift it up a jetty or rock ledge try to do it in one movement to avoid the squid falling off. If it bounces there's a chance the hooks will fall out as they aren't barbed.

- Avoid the beak and the ink :P

Like I've said I've only just started to catch them after months of trial, error and lack of interest due to discouragement. Just keep at it and you'll be enjoying some fresh salt and pepper squid in no time :P

After months of trying I've finally had the luck of landing my first few squids with jigs.

Here's what I've learn't

- Let the jig sink depending on the depth of water, I like it to be around a metre from the bottom so I can cover a large portion of the water column - I usually wait maybe 30 seconds with a 2.5 jig in around 10m or less of water.

- Use a flick technique like two flicks, a slow retrieve and let it sink again. - the aim is to imitate that quick erratic flick movement of a prawn

- Smaller jigs work well (if not better in my opinion) than the bigger ones. - Recently I've landed some 30cm size hoods with a small 2.5 jig.

- Bright Pink and White with Orange jigs seem to work best in my (limited) experience.

- When you hook up, keep the rod tip pointed up and don't allow any slack.

- If you need to lift it up a jetty or rock ledge try to do it in one movement to avoid the squid falling off. If it bounces there's a chance the hooks will fall out as they aren't barbed.

- Avoid the beak and the ink :P

Like I've said I've only just started to catch them after months of trial, error and lack of interest due to discouragement. Just keep at it and you'll be enjoying some fresh salt and pepper squid in no time :P

Thanks mate I tried all that but none were biteing. Could you please tell me where you go out? Thanks

Edited by fishyboi

Mate, I've just come back from a 4hr sesh at Wally's wharf in Port hacking for just the one small arrow squid. I tried just about every technique known to humankind, but I reckon trentarena89 covers it pretty well. I was retrieving slow at the time after letting a plain white (glow in the dark?) jig, size 3, sink to just above the bottom. But be patient and stay positive and persistent. I'm no master at squidding, but it's great fun and makes a nice change from chasing regular type fish.

Cheers,

Nursie

Thanks mate I tried all that but none were biteing. Could you please tell me where you go out? Thanks

I go out along various rocks in the illawarra. It's been pretty quiet lately the local squidders only getting one or two per long session.

Try from around 3pm onwards

There are a few articles on this site to help you out. Your technique could be right but if the location or time is not good then you will have no hope. Read these for guidance and practice, practice, practice.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/how-to-catch-squid.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/spit-bridge-squidding.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/squidding-sydney-harbour.php