Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished Lilli Pilli from first light this morning, the water is clear and cold. Patches of drizzle did not help either, with the cold weather.

1 undersize bream, a salmon about 55cm that was released and a good sized crab. Not even a little reddie to be seen, squid and cunje baits untouched. The salmon and bream took salted tailor strips, the crab was the only thing that touched pilchards, the other pilchards fell off from old age because they were in the water that long.

Headed to Grays Point and pumped a few nippers, they produced a just legal bream, a sand whiting about 32cm, and a trumpeter whiting a bit smaller. No other bites and nothing to be seen swimming over the flats. Along the channel around the sand bank were hundreds of blackfish, and I mean hundreds as far as I could see into the clear water, however, hardly a one looked to be over the size limit.

Tried Lilli Pilli flats for only toads, also Gunnamatta flats for a long time for only one trevally of 37cm.

You did well mate in less than ideal conditions :thumbup:, is there any baitfish around in the hacko at the moment?

No yellowtail at Lilli Pilli. No fish jumping where I was, no pilchard or whitebait schools to be seen. Drifting over the sandflats there was nothing to see, even the stingrays are absent. There will be some fish somewhere, but finding them during daylight in clear water is the hard part.

No yellowtail at Lilli Pilli. No fish jumping where I was, no pilchard or whitebait schools to be seen. Drifting over the sandflats there was nothing to see, even the stingrays are absent. There will be some fish somewhere, but finding them during daylight in clear water is the hard part.

Sounds like i'll have to wait for the weather to heat up then :biggrin2:

The fish have been hard work lately, been out a couple of times with barely even an undersize fish (until last friday :biggrin2: ) at least your getting a feed mate

The way things are going, I might have to keep the salmon next time. The last couple I pulled out of the Port were looking a bit on the thin side, so not a lot for them to eat at present.

You did well to pull out the big flattie. The best I've caught in the Port was 85cm, put up as much fight as a piece of seaweed. Some a bit smaller were like yours however, just wanted to take a big run like a kingie. Can only improve! :biggrin2:

Edited by yowie

Hi guys,

I've been fishing the hacking (land based) a lot over winter and found it to be really tough to catch anything worth taking home. I've given it a break over the last few weeks and until now, this is the first time in a while that I've seen a new post come up about the hacking.

Given there's not much happening on Fish Raider about the hacking, that says a lot for the area.

Just bought myself a boat to get out there. A few things to do to it, but then hope to meet some raiders out there and maybe even pick their brains a little.

Until then, tight lines and keep up the good work with the posts.

Rod.