Narrabeen lake

T jack

Over this winter I have been struggling to hook up to any good flattys in the lake at all.

I have always done very well in winter in past years just using s.p and on fly when the current isn't running to hard.

I would just like to know if I'm loosing it or is the lake just getting harder to fish.?

My first post.

Always found the lake hard to fish in winter. Just the odd flattie and bream but thats it. Best bet i'd say is back end of the lake on run out tide for a few bigger lizards. Much harder to come by atm though... You said you've had success in recent years so i'd stick to that for a while too!

Cheers, Tom

Hi T jack,

I dunno about the middle of the Narrabeen Lake, but try the feeder creeks. I'm no expert, nor am I a local, but I'm starting to get a sense of how this body of water might work. Yes, it is harder to fish this winter by all reports.

For a start, last summer's cooler temps and high rainfall will have impacted this lake far longer than many other coastal lakes. Now add the some of the coldest winter days on record. So no, you're not losing it.

A lot of people fish Narrabeen Lake from Woolies bridge down to the mouth. But I think the creeks at the back of the lake are well worth exploring as an alternative in the colder weather. They're more sheltered from the winds, so the water may be a tad warmer there.

Last week I was casting a shallow diving hardbody across Deep Creek and after about 20 minutes, I drew the lure off a sandbank on the opposite shore and into the drop-off when the lure was smacked hard. After about 30 seconds the fish spat the lure. Possibly a good bream or perhaps a nice E.P. Anyhow, on close examination, I worked out that the lure was fitted with trebles at least 1 size too big, so that they were able to foul each other. That would have helped the fish get rid of the lure in my book, so I've downsized and I'm ready to have another crack at the same spot. Last week was worth the early morning numb fingers and runny nose!

There was also a report from a reliable local that an 80cm flatty was landed around the mouth of Middle Creek the week before. Even better, it was released unharmed!

Cheers

Nursie

Totally agree I always fish the 'feeder' side of the lake with great success have caught some lovely flathead up to 70cm. My advise is to park at middle creek reserve, don a backpack and wander up to the mouth of the river there are many good spots on the way for a flick.

Totally agree I always fish the 'feeder' side of the lake with great success have caught some lovely flathead up to 70cm. My advise is to park at middle creek reserve, don a backpack and wander up to the mouth of the river there are many good spots on the way for a flick.

is there a track that leads to the mouth and if so how long does it take?

is there a track that leads to the mouth and if so how long does it take?

It's only a couple of hundred metres, if that, and yes there's tracks. Haven't been recently because it's been a building site, looks like they're about to finish the new car park or whatever they're doing any day now.