My first offshore fishing trip thanks to Fishbones

nath_reptile

Yesterday I head off from home and arrived at Mikes house round 8.20am.

Within 20 minutes we'd slipped the boat in at Water Street boat ramp and we were off heading for sea, we got out past Jibbon and the water was cool, 19.5 deg, it was lumpy due to the wind overnight, and raining on and off , :1badmood: we stopped about half a mile for a chat with another Raider who turned around and head back, mike asked us if we wanted to keep going and also said it would get better the further we went out and the forecast was for the wind to drop....

He was right, the further we went, the better it got, Mike got all the gear ready and let out the lures.. :1yikes:

We trolled heading along the canyons where we had a double hookup on some 9 kg Albacore.... I was in awe as I always fish inside the Hacking and nothing I've ever dealt with fights like that except for the big stingrays which snap me straight off.... I was laughing and hurting on the inside as I had never used game reels and that was Awkward as the rod and reel keep trying to roll around(I'm sure you game fisho's have seen someone struggle before on one of these) and as I was winding, realized as well as struggling with the rolling rod, I also had to feed the line on....it was a laugh...I wound and wound and saw color but he saw me and took another dive, going deeper again, my adrenalin was pumping... We landed both of these albacore and set the gear and kept going....

We watched for Tuna birds and head for little schools of them and also where the albatross were, that paid off too, we had more hookups and unfortunately I lost mine just below the boat. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

We kept trolling heading for Browns, we got out there and had a troll around we we got another Double hookup... This is awesome fun, and I now know why all you offshore fisherman and women are hooked on it!

We stopped and watched another Raider with the last part of his fight with a large bronze whaler! I was glad Mike stopped and let us watch as this was quite interesting for me as I have not seen stuff like this before. After watching the struggle of getting this beast over the gunnels, we tried to assist them, but it was too heavy and the boats were scratching each other (mikes new paint job)ouch :ranting2: ... We dropped mike off to lend a hand and watched from Mikes boat...It took a lot of effort from 3 big guys and about 25 mins to get it over the gunnels...

We threw another' spread and head for home,, we had more hookups on the way home.... Wow, game fishing is awesome....

As we were heading for home we watched the storms over Wollongong and botany, they looked great from sea in the darkness...

A massive thank you to Mike for taking me on my first offshore fishing expedition, I can't tell you how good that was, but it was my best day in 10 long months after suffering a brain haemorage and stroke.....

What an awesome day filled with exciting stuff I have not seen before, the Albacore were epic fun and so was watching the shark catch.

Thanks heaps Mike

I wrote this on the iPad and it won't let me load photos, I'll load some up soon....Thought I'd add how nice Mike is too, every time a rod went off he was telling the two of us to grab the rods and never pulled in a fish himself, but kept setting the lines for us all day....

post-15968-097220100 1343206229_thumb.jpg

post-15968-001063300 1343206263_thumb.png

Edited by Nate the sea dog

Great report mate :thumbup: Congratulations on a successful trip outside! How big was the mako?

The bronze whaler was about 3 meters, I guess, it's definately the closest I've been to a shark while not diving...probably not big for a lot of you offshore fisho's but it was big for a first timer it was over three meters and about 120kg ...

Edited by Nate the sea dog

The bronze whaler was about 3 meters, I guess, it's definately the closest I've been to a shark while not diving...probably not big for a lot of you offshore fisho's but it was big for a first timer it was over three meters and about 120kg ...

Not small for a whaler... Hell of an animal :thumbup:

I was laughing and hurting on the inside as I had never used game reels and that was Awkward as the rod and reel keep trying to roll around(I'm sure you game fisho's have seen someone struggle before on one of these) and as I was winding, realized as well as struggling with the rolling rod, I also had to feed the line on....it was a laugh...

Awesome report and experience mate! :thumbup:

I found the exact same thing with the reel rotating when I went out on my first offshore experience last year! What's the deal with that? I did notice at the bottom of the rod, it has like a cross indent, which I think is meant to sit into a cross on the chair, so it stays stable? It also might explain that on TV, they have the clips on both sides of the reel, is that to keep it stable too?

Yer I'm the same boat as you dude, I really struggled to use those massive tiagra reels.

Here's a pet blue shark that I filmed last week that I handfeed , don't believe in hooking these creatures many gamefisherman would have jumped at the opportunity as the record is 188 kg this shark was bigger than that.

Cheers John