New combo suggestions

horgs

Looking to get a new combo that can be a bit versatile. All my fishing is done in an estuary but I want to be able to target anything from bream to jewies.

Had a reel in mind - stradic ci4, but i dont know if I want a 2500 or 4000 (is a 2500 enough to stop big fish?) but unsure of what rod to stick it on and what braid poundage

Budget for a rod is $100 but I guess I'd be willing to push it a bit further if the rod is really appealing.

Should also note that it's mainly for SP's but I would also be throwing bait every now and then when the SP's aren't getting any action!

I use a Shimano Starlo Stix 7' Med 3-5kg spin rod with Shimano 2500 and 10lb braid which has done the job on anything I've hooked on it including schoolie jews and decent aussie salmon.

From memory it was around the $100 mark and is tippy emough to throw light lures but has enough grunt to control the bigger boys...

Looking to get a new combo that can be a bit versatile. All my fishing is done in an estuary but I want to be able to target anything from bream to jewies.

Had a reel in mind - stradic ci4, but i dont know if I want a 2500 or 4000 (is a 2500 enough to stop big fish?) but unsure of what rod to stick it on and what braid poundage

Budget for a rod is $100 but I guess I'd be willing to push it a bit further if the rod is really appealing.

Should also note that it's mainly for SP's but I would also be throwing bait every now and then when the SP's aren't getting any action!

Hey mate if u just want the reel for the looks go the ci4 but performance wise they do not compare to a normal stradic. A 2500 reel should be enough to play a jewwie and get your bream. Have a look at pflueger trion 2-4 or 3-6 kg or the new shimano rods lure project are really nice and cheap too

Hey mate if u just want the reel for the looks go the ci4 but performance wise they do not compare to a normal stradic. A 2500 reel should be enough to play a jewwie and get your bream. Have a look at pflueger trion 2-4 or 3-6 kg or the new shimano rods lure project are really nice and cheap too

I was just looking at the lure project and noticed theres also one for SP's and the regular Mexican Raider too. Is there any big difference between these 3 in terms of their tips etc. or is it just the handles/grips?

And how come a stradic ci4 isnt as good as the FJ? I checked the shimano website it seems they have the same drag & gear ratio, only diff is the ci4 is lighter

The ci4 is the way to go i got both but i use the ci4 most of the time just dont run any heavier then 10lb braid cause if you lock the drag up on heavier braid the reel starts to flex but you wouldnt need to worry about that for what you want to use the reel for.also have had my ci4 since they came out and it is still working perfic

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Stradic is a great reel. If i were you i'd match it to a 3-6kg rod of some description. The shimano jewell and raider rods are great bang for your buck! Match it up with either 6lb or 8lb braid and away you go. The advantage of 3-6kg and 8lb braid is that its light enough to still have great sport with bream/flathead but heavy enough to play out a big jew on :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Cheers for the suggestions, seems that 3-6kg is the way to go seeing as everyone has mentioned that. I don't really like the Jewel too much (a mate has one), might have a feel with the raider and trion at the tackle shop to see which one i like better.

I think I've been fishing too heavy this whole time. I have 2 bait setups and they are running 30lb and 50lb! Didn't think that 10 lb and lower would be able to handle jewies

Cheers for the suggestions, seems that 3-6kg is the way to go seeing as everyone has mentioned that. I don't really like the Jewel too much (a mate has one), might have a feel with the raider and trion at the tackle shop to see which one i like better.

I think I've been fishing too heavy this whole time. I have 2 bait setups and they are running 30lb and 50lb! Didn't think that 10 lb and lower would be able to handle jewies

Nothing wrong with your bait outfits mate. I fish 50lb and 30lb on mine! 8lb will handle jewies as long as you play them out correctly and if your landbased DONT HOOK A MONSTER or it'll spool you! I have the trion, raider and jewell and i'd give the raider my vote. Other two are still great rods though. Landed a legal kingie landbased on the jewell and 6lb braid!

Nothing wrong with your bait outfits mate. I fish 50lb and 30lb on mine! 8lb will handle jewies as long as you play them out correctly and if your landbased DONT HOOK A MONSTER or it'll spool you! I have the trion, raider and jewell and i'd give the raider my vote. Other two are still great rods though. Landed a legal kingie landbased on the jewell and 6lb braid!

Haha I don't have a boat so I'm exclusively landbased. One day I'll get smoked by something big and probably cry into my reel hahaha.

The raider sure will look nice on a stradic though, red and red!.

Stradic ci4 has a crappy drag system considering they are worth more than a regular stradic. And they flew where is joins on your rod under drag pressure. If ya jump online and check the reviews a lot of angry customer. When they first came out I jumped into buying one straight away because of its good looks and lightness. Obviously at the shop felt really good in my hand as I can't test for flex and drag on the spot.

About a month later sold it. Use a normal stradic by its side and feel the difference