Georges River whiting

adkel53

This morning I had to drop my wife at Sydney airport for a 7.00 am flight and decided not to waste the opportunity to have a fish. Not sure what other airport users thought when I arrived at the departures drop off area with a boat in tow. Not that I really care!!

I had armed myself with some live bloodworms from the local tackle outlet, along with some advice about where I might use them in the Georges to target some winter whiting. This was a change of tactics for me. I like the challenges associated with lure fishing and rarely bait fish these days.

Leaving Oatley Bay ramp around 7 am, I headed out into the river, anchored at one of the suggested places and set out a spread of three lightweight outfits. Almost immediately a 34cm whiting found a bait and was soon in the icy waters of the esky. :thumbup: Two more slightly smaller ones quickly followed."How good is this?" I thought. The sun was out, the wind down and the whiting were out to play. Well - not for very long as things went quiet after that. I moved around a little and even tried a drift along the edge of the channel, all to no avail. The tide stopped and so did I - for a coffee and warm apple muffin at a nearby marina.

As the tide began to run up the wind began to blow against it from the west. This would make anchoring and fishing problematic. Nothing ventured nothing gained the saying goes, so down went the anchor at a new location and out went the baits again. Within fifteen minutes three more nice fat whiting were added to the esky, then two more over the next half hour. The wind was getting to me a bit so I sought sanctuary behind a nearby headland and almost immediately landed two legal bream, followed by a procession of tiddler ones. Nothing for it but to brave the wind again, so off I went, anchoring a little closer to the edge of the channel this time. Three more whiting and a good sized trevally rounded out my morning.

Guess what - I have to pick up my wife around noon on Sunday. What is that forecast again?