The Mighty Brown Trout

G'day Fellow Raiders! After quite some weeks, I thought it was high time I made my way back up the Mountains to good ole Thommo's.

After teeing up a session with my buddy & fellow Raider "Hooked Up", we made the infamous walk up to the dam during the wee hours of Saturday morning.

The conditions were quite windy, 17km's SW for pretty much all day, however we dug in and braved it, in search of our old buddy, I dare say our most highly prized fish, the reclusive brown Trout!

After a dropped fish within the first 30 minutes, things were looking favourable...I switched spots, by this time sunrise had come, and before long I was in!

post-21553-070943300 1343535702_thumb.png

The fish did a huge back flip straight up, and I could see that it was a good Brownie! With it being my birthday today, I was well chuffed that Thommo's had produced the goods for us!

Before long, after a few aerial manoeuvres, the beauty of a Brownie was in the net!

post-21553-035804100 1343536068_thumb.png

post-21553-043551100 1343536100_thumb.png

After a weight and measurement, we were seeing another fine TCD specimen...6.15lb & 64cm respectively.

post-21553-029239100 1343536246_thumb.png

post-21553-003645100 1343536328_thumb.png

After reviving the fish, he was let go to grow bigger lol!

post-21553-099120700 1343536448_thumb.png

We fished on for another 30 minutes or so, with no more action...We decided to go over the hill, round the back of the dam...It turned out to be a good move!

Within half a dozen casts, I had another dropped fish, with it literally taking my lure at my feet, as I was lifting out of the water to cast again!

It really does pay to keep your retrieve going all the way to your feet!

We continued to make our way round the back, trying some of the drop off's along the way.

I then had another experience like the last dropped fish, just as I was about to lift my lure out to cast again, A feisty Male Rainbow shot up and engulfed my lure!

It proceeded to take off to the right of me, at least 15-20 metres on its first run, towards some submerged trees.

I managed to turn it away from then, however, it launched itself out of the water, somersaulting and shaking the lure free...

It was a solid thick Rainbow, We estimated to be over 5lb.

By this time Lee, I think had one hit, but had yet connected with a fish...Within 30 minutes of the lost Rainbow, I hear the sound of joy, "I'm in"!!! Yeehaaa!!!

post-21553-023214400 1343536989_thumb.png

Before long, I hear the call, its another good Brownie...Wow, come on Thommo's!

After some big surges, we see the beauty, and she is finally in the net.

She measured 63cm, and we estimated her to be over 5lb...Due to her condition, being an ex spawner, she had lost a lot of weight...We estimated her to weigh in the region of 7-8lb or more in her prime...She had the biggest tail we have seen on a fish out of Thommo's!

post-21553-088627100 1343537260_thumb.png

post-21553-074244800 1343537404_thumb.png

After reviving the fish, she was realised to get back to top form!

post-21553-064399500 1343537584_thumb.png

post-21553-047444900 1343537943_thumb.png

All in all a very memorable day, and thank you Thommo's for the lovely birthday present!

Edited by foolforjesus

Great report, and great fish!! AND happy birthday for yesterday!!

I was up at TCD yesterday as well, didn't land a fish all day but sighted and had a few follows from several healthy rainbows ranging between 5-8 pounds.

Lots of false spawning action going on as well with all the water in the dam now.

Although I had no luck yesterday, I'm definitely heading up again in the week to try my luck again!!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lures did you land your fish on?

Cheers!

good to see you got some mad pics out of the footage mate. theres some good ones there.

and i was happy as to see the browns on the chew again,

soon wel get them on the flyrods again mate, cant wait.

good job on the report too nice one.

Great report, and great fish!! AND happy birthday for yesterday!!

I was up at TCD yesterday as well, didn't land a fish all day but sighted and had a few follows from several healthy rainbows ranging between 5-8 pounds.

Lots of false spawning action going on as well with all the water in the dam now.

Although I had no luck yesterday, I'm definitely heading up again in the week to try my luck again!!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lures did you land your fish on?

Cheers!

Hi Dan1000, Thanks Mate! All fish were caught on 3" soft plastics.

good to see you got some mad pics out of the footage mate. theres some good ones there.

and i was happy as to see the browns on the chew again,

soon wel get them on the flyrods again mate, cant wait.

good job on the report too nice one.

Hey Lee, yeah some good footage there mate, well done!

Indeed, the fly rods shall produce!

And thanks for the birthday wishes, had a nice chilled out day!

Awesome mate. Yeah I'll let you know how I go, I'm hopeful for a few nice rainbows!!!

looks like a perfect day up there tomorrow mate, you could do well.

seemed like the rainbows were liking the faster retreives on the weekend but the browns like it nice n slow.

good luck to you mate and looking forward to the report.

im thinking of giving some small hardbodys ago next time too.

Hooked up, yeah i tried every type of lure, and every retrieval on Saturday but the big spawners weren't having a bar of it, the only times they really fired up was running 3-4 inch hard bodies in trout patterns with a quick retrieve then pause, retrieve and pause etc when the lure was stationary i had a few 6 pound+ bucks follow. I also had one big rainbow tailing a pink tazzie to about a metre from the shore, but then head back to deep water at the last second, he legitimately looked like a 10lb plus model (that's right foolforjesus!!). so hopefully i have some more luck tomorrow and i can get into some of the big units!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Great fish! I am looking forward to trying this lake after seeing all of these cracking fish come out of there. I think it is going to make me feel that little bit better about moving away from the far south coast.

P.S

One couldn't wish for a better b/day present (except for this fabled 10lb'er you speak of).

Luc.

Hi Luc, yeah Thommo's, she likes to reward with bigger than average fish! Infact I would say the average fish is around 5lb!

You should head up one day Mate, I think you'll be surprised once you get one!

I think I will too, especially with my 1-3kg spin stick. I have pulled in a 6 1/2lb Aussie salmon on it, it took me about 15 minutes or so to get it in but I got it. ;)