Sat 9th Bit Quiet

Grantm

Went for a fish around the mouth of the Hawkesbury on Saturday. Dont have much to report but here goes anyway.

Not many boats out, I think the forecast was bad so most stayed home and missed a great morning anyway.

We started out ok picking up a couple of nice Flatties at Hungry Beach on the old fav 3 in gulp, then moved over to Juno for the tide change.

Started out ok here too as well picking up some choppers which went out on the big gear, and landed a nice Bream.

Stayed there for a while hoping we would land a Jewie, which the boat next to us did, but couldnt coax one on to the livies. Put out some nice fresh squid which kept dissappearing with hookups. During this time I was having trouble getting lures or baits to the bottom chasing more Bream without getting whacked by choppers. The penny dropped as to where our squid was going anyway. :ranting2:

As the tide turned the choppers were in plague proportions and made any type of bait fishing too hard and even lures were no good. I must have lost 6 or 7 jigheads to theses little buggers.

Moved out to Lion Island but the wind was a pain, and so was the reef ooglies we were catching.

Tried a few more spots as the wind picked up even more which made the bay pretty choppy, by about 3 oclock decided to head home.

Must have landed 30 choppers for the day, but at least we got a couple of nice flatties and a bream which is better than nothing or sitting at home.

How do you beat the choppers when there going nuts like they were ?

Cheers :biggrin2:

Sounds as though you still had an OK day. You got to turn a reel and a few flathead for the pan.

I have been out of action for a while and have not had any real opportunities to get out for a fish or get onto the web site to see what’s happening.

Hope the boat is going well and its everything you wanted and more. I have heard good things about the Etec's. I believe if I ever wanted to get a new motor that’s the way to go.

Looking forward to getting out on the water amongst it again and eventually meeting some of the fish raider fraternity.

Cheers and happy :1fishing1:

Martin

G'day Grant, certainly was windy over the weekend on the water.

We spent Friday 'arvo doing a drift east of Lion Island starting about 50 yards off then just drifting out for about 400 yards.

Found large schools of bonito, yellowtail, tailor, as well as bream, small snapper and flatties.

Saturday we didn't venture east of the road bridges.....darn wind. :05:

cheers

Hooky

G'day Grant, certainly was windy over the weekend on the water.

We spent Friday 'arvo doing a drift east of Lion Island starting about 50 yards off then just drifting out for about 400 yards.

Found large schools of bonito, yellowtail, tailor, as well as bream, small snapper and flatties.

Saturday we didn't venture east of the road bridges.....darn wind. :05:

cheers

Hooky

57585[/snapback]

yes it was cold on saturday too with the westerly in your face on the run in tide . we fished walker point on the run in am saturday for 3 hours for zero results , moved well into broken bay and hooked just about every monster non table species you can think of , good sport though , ((but still no table fish !)) one after the other , a sign of great general activity after last weeks heavy rain . we then had live squid ripped apart in no time by schools of undersize leather jackets

reckon had we stayed in the bay longer in the pre sunday gale chop , the jewies were in the deeper holes and would have hit sooner or later. no live yakkas until dusk and even then in the freezing shade inside pittwater at west head . fished in 60 feet opposite flat rock point mid evening and got eels only.spent midnight to dawn of the run out moored in the main channel at the southern end of the road bridge and never lost a livie or a whole squid . yet on returning to brooklin ramp , we noticed shovel fulls of huge jewie scales on the ground , almost the size of 50 cent pieces coming off 20 and 30 kilo jewies . i'll bet they were caught east of lion island and not in the river . any one like to comment or advise on that ??