Fishing Friday Night

nath_reptile

Ok, so I was bored on Friday arvo, spoke to the old man who was coming back in his cruiser after a couple of days floating round port hacking doing retired blokes with boats do....Sit around and fish!

Thought it would be better than doing nothing so met him at Burraneer Bay, he got off, I got on.... I took the boat out to Jibbon for the night and started catching some yellow tail and putting them in the bucket for bait..

Rigged up my new cheap as shi# game reel that I bought off online shop for $40 with 130m of 30 pound braid... :-rolleyes ...

Threw out a bait after dinner on the cheap reel and watched the unknowing yellowtail swim off in the distance... Sat back down to a beer with the radio going in the background. :icon_peace:

Off went the reel about 20 minutes later and the line was zipping off, I was excited even though I thought it was a ray, I tightened the drag and reefed it's head back in the direction of the boat...lol...(I'm new to using braid and love the strength, it's funny for me as I fish with 6pound trace).. The gears in this new reel are tiny and it takes 10,000 winds to pull in a meter of line, so it took quite a while to get it up to the boat, it's a Banjo.... Was fun bringing it in though, I pulled it onto the marlin board, it was nearly three feet long, took the hook out and let it go again....

Well, for the next three live baits I put out, I think I caught the same blooming Banjo, very annoying... I left the last yellowtail till bedtime and fished for nothing at all on nippers the old man had left me..

It was freezing cold so threw the last yellowtail out and hit the hay....

It was that cold I was having trouble sleeping so got out more doona's and sleeping bags, I rolled myself up like a grub in a cocoon in three doona's and three sleeping bags.... Shivering I finally fell asleep about 1am, I woke at 3am to the line on the cheap reel zipping away, got outta bed and ran for the line...it stopped as I got to it, gave it a pull and it was stuck on something.... It was quite choppy and in my pajamas I stupidly got into the dingy with the rod... I wound the reel which dragged me and the dingy to the mooring block, it's pitch black, freezing cold,choppy and the westerly was blowing.... I leaned over and tried to free it, the 6 foot dinghy did not like this and took on a fair bit of water wetting me a fair bit, I let the drag out and put the rod back on the boat, now I'm pissed :angry: got back on the boat and tied the braid to the boat....got changed and went back to bed.... Woke in the morning and went out in the dinghy to inspect, I used the boat hook and grabbed the other side of the line and started pulling it in by hand, I had about 30 meters in my hands when this fish took off like lightening slicing my fingers in many spots real deep, blood pissing out I was not letting go, I wanted to see what it was... I was determined! I got up closer to it, saw a bit of colour and the thing got off.... I assume it was another Banjo but will never know!

So it was a freezing cold night, I caught absolutely nothing worth writing about , lost $40 dollars of braid....and was lucky enough to see the same fish 4 times...Not

But waking up to such a nice day cooking bacon and eggs was all worth it in the end I guess ( well, so I'll keep telling myself)....

Nath

( I'll load some pics later, iPad won't do it)